USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

sidux now installed with KDE 4.2.4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2024 9:48 pm    Post subject: sidux now installed with KDE 4.2.4 Reply with quote

Debian Sid had been lagging for quite some time, first, by not including KDE 4 at all, then by including only KDE 4.2.2, but as of this week, that has changed, and KDE 4.2.4 is now available in Sid, and by upgrading my sidux installation, I now have a fully working KDE 4.2.4 desktop as of today.

As of last night, I also installed KDE 4.3.1 Beta on my Mandriva Cooker partition on my Lenovo Y410 laptop. I already had a KDE 4.2.3 desktop there, but now it is KDE 4.2.88, which is the KDE naming convention for their Beta test.

Both desktops are working quite well; I think that KDE has finally crossed over from development into active maintenance and improvement. While there may still be some defects that need to be resolved, at least for me, I have found KDE 4.2.2 to be quite usable on an every day basis, and I have not found any serious defects on my KDE 4.2.4 system.

I did find that Konqueror still has some minor rendering problems; for instance, when I create a forum entry on the Newbies Linux Forum, after the entry is posted, the resulting entry is sharply narrowed and when first reading the entry just posted, it is less than twenty characters wide. Selecting another post, then returning to the entry just posted clears up the problem. I am going to check the same thing with a follow up post here and see if the PHPbb software that we use experiences the same issue exposed by the Beehive forum software on the Newbies Linux Forum.

Other than that, things are working just fine.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2024 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writing a quick post here with Konqueror to see how the KDE 4.2.4 instance of Konqueror works with our software.

EDIT: it works fine, so the problem is isolated to certain kinds of forum software. Things like Google, Yahoo, and most other sites render fine with Konqueror.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: