USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

KDE 4.3.1 Release Announcement

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2024 8:46 pm    Post subject: KDE 4.3.1 Release Announcement Reply with quote

Quote:

KDE Community Ships First Translation and Service Release of the 4.3 Free Desktop, Containing Numerous Bugfixes, Performance Improvements and Translation Updates

September 1st, 2024. A month has passed since the release of KDE 4.3.0, so today the KDE Community announces the immediate availability of KDE 4.3.1, a bugfix, translation and maintenance update for the latest generation of the most advanced and powerful free desktop. KDE 4.3.1 is a monthly update to KDE 4.3. It ships with a desktop workspace and many cross-platform applications such as administration programs, network tools, educational applications, utilities, multimedia software, games, artwork, development tools and more. KDE's award-winning tools and applications are available in more than 50 languages.

KDE 4.3.1 is dedicated to Emma Hope Pyne, the daughter of Michael Pyne. Emma Hope suddenly passed away last week. The KDE community feels incredibly sad about this loss and wishes Michael and the family and friends all the strength needed to cope with the loss of Emma Hope.

http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-4.3.1.html

I installed KDE 4.3.1 this morning on my openSUSE 11.1 box. So far I can say it run very stable and faster.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2024 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some screenshots from KDE 4.3.1
http://files.myopera.com/JaDa/albums/808978/kde4.3.1-1.jpeg

and how I tweak it.
http://my.opera.com/JaDa/albums/show.dml?id=808978

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2024 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my screenshot of 4.3.1 on my Arch install on my primary desktop. The panel at the top is a auto-hiding panel:

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2024 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have KDE 4.3.1 installed on my modified sidux system (Liquorix 2.6.30-10 kernel, smxi tools, additional window managers and applications). KDE 4.3.1, for the most part, seems to be an incremental improvement over previous versions. The one application I use occasionally that still seems to be having problems is Konqueror - when used as a browser. You can't select Email with it in GMail, it incorrectly renders posts at Newbies Linux Forum, it crashes when you manipulate bookmarks in the bookmark editor, and performance has not kept pace with other browsers. I still consider it an excellent file manager and a tolerable browser when used with Kontact or one of the other integrated KDE applications, but lousy as an every day browser. KDE as a whole though is excellent, and with a choice between the classic menus and the more recent alternative, once again people have a choice. Except for the advanced browser features, which unfortunately remain full of defects, the rest of the environment is shaping up very well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: