USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

youtube.com video ripper
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Shell Scripting and Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2024 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you drop to a bash prompt and type this:
Code:
wget (url goes here)

I used to write DOS batch programs, and had to troubleshoot those once in a great 'every stinking time I tried'. I learned that I needed to break down the problem batch files into segments. You might want to adjust the script to spit out the URL before it starts to download it, just in case the process of assembling the chunks is going wrong. The trouble with doing things silently is that users get no information that way.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2024 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...
I tried crouses script and it turns out that I ultimately get 404's from YouTube and nothing gets passed to ffmpeg.

Ultimately, I cheated: I already use the Firefox addon called "Flash Block".
I went to the particular YT site I wanted to d/l from.
Because Flash Block blocks flash and that includes blocking flash video, it places an icon as a place holder which we can click on, just in case not seeing that flash caused a problem.
I am able to right click the Flash Block place holder icon to get a right click menu that allows me to 'copy flash location'.

That is a URL which is not offered to the common user.

I then went to 'Keep Vid' which crouse also helpfully posted, I entered that copied URL, and (eventually) downloaded the .flv file.

Running an ffmpeg format conversion isn't necessary for me, since VLC can play .flv formats directly.

inactive

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have Flash Block installed. This is happening in both 2024.1 and Cooker, and started a couple weeks to a month ago, after the script was working from the day I started using it.

My brother got down to the part that you mentioned mmmna - we tried it with no go. There also appears since April 9, after we both ran a search, that Youtube has now put up some kind of blocker to downloading the videos there. Their YouTube Video Grabber isn't there any more at the page. If you go here (which is in that script; the baseurl line), you get a blank page. The youtube downloader addon for Firefox wasn't working for me either. I've uninstalled it since (the less crap I have in Firefox, the happier I am... no wait. The less Firefox I have the happier I am).

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2024 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't troubleshoot scripts very often, so the method I posted is just my way of doing things. It worked for my needs.

platinummonkey
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2024 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youtube has changed a few things over time. So naturally the script will break. Personally I've been told to use Wink youtube-dl and youtube-mp3 from the AUR. The youtube-mp3 script is a bash script, and youtube-dl is a python script. You should be able to download the tarball from the aur, and place the scripts in /usr/bin/ and get right on back to what you weren't doing Wink Razz

Perhaps a bit of a pain, but not really anymore effort that what you're doing now Razz

youtube-dl: http://archlinux.org/packages/search/?q=youtube-dl # requires ffmpeg
youtube-mp3: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.html?ID=20784

USB Boot - Archlinux i686 kernel26 2.6.32.10-1 USB boot
inactive

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2024 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will they work in Mandriva?

ffmpeg is always installed here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Shell Scripting and Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: