USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

AnandTech reviews Linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER
View previous topic :: View next topic  
julian516

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: AnandTech reviews Linux Reply with quote

Ryan Smith at AnandTech is doing a two-part series in which he reviews Linux by looking at Ubuntu 8.04 in Part I, with a follow-on Part II promised in which he will look at Ubuntu 9.04. AnandTech has a strong following in the Windows world.

The Part I review prints out to 21 pages and it concludes with the editor asking for comments. And those are needed despite the 17 pages worth which already have accumulated. Too much of what is there is adolescent stone-throwing.

If a person who knows both Windows and Linux well could address some of the conclusions reached in the review it would make for interesting reading.

The URL is
Quote:
http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=3616

crouse: If I have this in the wrong place please move it and thank you!

jester

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2024 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@julian516: I've read that article; I'm a fairly regular reader of anandtech (mainly for the hardware reviews)

I don't see so much to get bent out of shape over to be honest. The article is nothing innovative, these pieces have been appearing at various places over the last 10 years and this is not one of the better ones.

1. It's a review of Ubuntu 8.04 - it took them almost a year to get this piece out the door (problems installing?) by which time the Ubuntu had superseded itself twice
yes I know they went with the LTS but how many home users opt for the LTS ...
Ryan Smith at Anandtech wrote:
Since our target was a desktop distribution with a focus on home usage (rather than being exclusively enterprise focused)

Did he read the Ubuntu website?
Ubuntu wrote:
Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop: Released April 2024 and maintained until April 2024 – ideal for large deployments

large deployments eh? sheesh, wonder where those would be needed Rolling Eyes

2. The author comes at his topic with the 'so does this OS let me interact with my PC just like Windows?' mentality

3. It's a subjective piece - the opinions of one person; they should really base these articles on the collective experiences of demographically diverse focus groups of about 50+ people (impractical I know, plus, like a jury in a high-profile case, very hard to get a group of unbiased people - you'd need people who'd never touched a PC before...)

4. Ignoring #3 above, it would have been better if they had used OSX as a counterpoint - other articles have done the 3-way comparison

5. The article claims to have as it's premise 'Would it make me switch?' and bemoans the need to dual-boot - funny that since Anand Lal Shimpi himself has said of his OSX adoption I'm not a switcher, but rather a dual user. As such, I think my perspective on things tends to be a little different than most. The Mac vs. PC debate almost always ends up being just as touchy of a subject as religion or politics, making it difficult to get a balanced perspective on anything relating to what's on the other side of the fence. - in the end the article comes across as non-committal but in an implied negative way (that said I don't tend to be overly positive about Ubuntu either Wink )

Ryan addresses his stance on this 'dual-boot vs switch' curiously on page 2
Ryan Smith wrote:
At this point I was a perfectly happy Mac user for my day job, and I probably would have used one at home too if it wasn't for the hefty price of a Mac and the fact that it would require having an entirely separate computer next to my gaming PC.

(a) unlike OSX you can legally dual-boot (on a single box) linux and Windows (provided you own a legal copy of the latter of course) - maybe you'll spend $50 on a new harddrive but that sure beats $2000 for a Mac right?
(b) oops, I missed it - games, there it is again, that old chestnut - I wonder if Ryan like some of his colleagues at Anandtech owns a gaming console - PS3/Wii/XBox or the like? It always strikes me that if this is the key fault of linux, then (i) dual-boot (ii) get a dedicated games console - it'll likely be a better experience anyway...

6. Yes it is a very Windows oriented site but Anand's been a mac-user since 2024...

7. Readers' comments - you summed it up pretty accurately, what else is to say?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
julian516

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I would let it go but the fact that it was posted at AnandTech bothered me.

As you point out the decision to review Ubuntu 8.04 struck me as altogether strange. We shall have to see what he makes of 9.04.

You are right, "Linux is not Windows" summarizes a theme running through the piece. There is an essay by that name, though I doubt Mr. Smith has read it.

I was not able to assess his comments regarding difficulties with Samba shares because I do not use that technology. I did find documentation suggesting that there is a rather simple GUI for doing this in Ubuntu 9.04. I have not run 8.04 in so long I do not recall if it was there or not.

Are Samba shares something that a great many home users do? I just do not now, which doubtless says something about my limited experience.

If I were going to give a distribution for trial purposes to a Windows person who is CLI-phobic I might suggest Mint. Codecs are preinstalled and the menu structure is straight-forward. In fact I have done this several times and the people involved have enjoyed the experience.

If we are going to consider some larger institutional environment would Novell's Suse be the better choice? Again, I have no experience but since Novell supports the product I assume it is crafted to do this easily? Once upon a time anyway, Novell knew something about networks!

Games? I have two family members involved with digital games on a semi-professional basis and they know what is going on with both markets and the technology. Their advice? Buy a console, PC's no longer are optimum devices for games.

Beyond that I do not have a dog in the game fight, save that $400 for an Xbox strikes me as more cost-effective than a gizillion dollars for Alenware.

Speaking of cost-effectiveness it seems altogether odd to me that the question of cost-effectiveness is not more salient in the essay. In fact it would be most interesting to look at a typical PC notebook (Dell 500 series?) a typical Mac notebook (Macbook?) and a Linux notebook (System 76 Pangolin?) and ask the cost effectiveness question over a set of comparable applications.

That would not end the argument but it might lend a more systematic and interesting discussion of the various elements of each solution. In fact if you can point me to a three way comparison I'd like to read it.

g33kb0ard3r

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2024 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read through that essay and at first he seemed rather sensible in his approach, but by the end it just seemed like he didn't want it to work anyway. One of the things that I think he missed was the customization aspect of Ubuntu. Many times he mentions Ubuntu's desktop. Well, it's GNOME. GNOME=/=Ubuntu. He probably would've been better off with KDE.

(IMO)

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2024 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just HATE reviews for Linux done by people that don't know Linux.

When you don't know how an OS works, and then install and review it, of course your going to run into problems/issues/etc and not know how to fix them yourself. duh.....

Of course we have them go into the "what could mom" do with linux vs what she can do with windows mode........ omg..... are you freakin kidding me, she's probably been running windows for 10 years now, so by this time she has some glimmers of how windows works. But....... oh noes.......shes all lost and confused now that she has Linux thrown at her. It's just not as good, well, because it's not windows.

Give me a break.

So you have to sacrifice/work around a few things using Linux that you don't have to with windows.
As I said on the Arch Linux forums, "It's free, don't bitch." You can either keep spending good money after bad feeding the M$ machine, or you can spend more than 5 days with the os and learn how it really works and the power it actually has.

I have helped countless people switch to Linux from windows, and I really don't think it was much harder for them to do that, than it was to learn how to use windows to start with. People get complacent and lazy, and don't want to learn.......it's too hard...... pppppfffffffftttttttttt. Then keep shelling out the $$$, your loss I say. ............. oh, and by the way, I can give you my hourly rate for fixing your M$crap machine if you'd like Wink

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2024 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty, if I were to rate Ubuntu 8.04, I would not give it high marks either <G><
Takes tongue out of cheek. I run a copy of Ubuntustudio 9.04, and although I have found a better solution, it is not that bad.

The only real test, is what I did with my Grandchildren. Started them on Linux. They took right to it. Of course in a very superficial way at first. And did not need a lot of coaching either. No more than if it had been XP, let us say.

The point made above is the key. Using one OS for years and changing is stressful for many.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

melloe wrote:
In all honesty, if I were to rate Ubuntu 8.04, I would not give it high marks either <G><
Takes tongue out of cheek. I run a copy of Ubuntustudio 9.04, and although I have found a better solution, it is not that bad.

The only real test, is what I did with my Grandchildren. Started them on Linux. They took right to it. Of course in a very superficial way at first. And did not need a lot of coaching either. No more than if it had been XP, let us say.

The point made above is the key. Using one OS for years and changing is stressful for many.

I would agree with your first line. I would rate Ubuntu 8.04 very low on the scales. When it was first released, maybe not as bad, but NOW it's gotten a bit long in the tooth.

Although I have managed to get a few people using linux. My roommate is now more comfortable on a linux desktop than windows, and my girlfriend has at least a passing familiarity and can use it.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2024 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as "geting people to use Linux", I find that the younger they are, the easier to teach. Before my wife left me, she would actually come to my computer every now and then and ask to look for something. This was a number of years ago when the children were young, so we'd look at sites like Children's Place, Gymboree, Carter's, stuff like that. I had her browsing sites in the Mozilla browser, Konqueror, and Firefox at various times. I'd try to get her to use Linux - and she could - she was just stubborn and would not let me put it on her system, even though it outperformed hers.

My two children, though, had no problems using Linux. I had both of them using PCLinuxOS and SimplyMEPIS without any problem at all. My girl, then nine, now eleven, was less apt to use it, but I even taught her how to boot the system and login. My son, who was seven then and nearly nine now, can not only boot the system, he can modify backgrounds and do all kinds of stuff. The Merrimack Valley School District where he goes to school has a strong policy (unlike the Concord School District, CSD) to promote and use as much free software as possible and they invest in the Linux Terminal Server project and use Linux both for the kids and for the staff. My son noticed that and pointed it out to me, so I checked their IT site, and sure enough, it is part of their school budget and part of a strategic plan to save money. Nearly a decade ago I recommended Linux to the CSD to save money, but they ignored me. I'd try again, but talking to some people is like speaking to the deaf and dumb.

Not all people who are older have trouble with Linux. It all depends on whether they have grown up using technology or not. My mother did not; she may have used computers a little bit in her ten years working for the schools in Michigan, but she would do things mostly on a step by step basis and had little understanding of what was actually going on. I gave her a laptop a number of years ago and she never used it. My nephew gave her another laptop recently and both my oldest sister (their mom) and both of my nephews, plus the very nice and patient tech support staff tried to help my mom, but various issues would come up, different each time, and my mom just did not have the background to reason through them and get around them. She's not stupid, but neither is she technically astute. She is a very healthy 82 years old, and I am proud of her in many ways, but her computer prowess isn't one of them, though I am proud of her at least wanting to try. If I were there, I'd work with her a little each week, personally training her. Most people just don't have the time it would take.

jester

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2024 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, Tom's is also running a series of Linux pieces from the 'how do I do Windows on linux' perspective, but they're very upfront about that premise and personally I get less 'whinge' from the author(s?)

Links below if you're interested:

Part 1 Installation (the brown one again)
Part 2 Internet Applications
Part 3 Communications Apps

It's a shame they missed irssi for irc clients, but they enlightened me on the number of IM clients there are (maybe I don't need those so much)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: