USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

ArsTechnica previews KDE SC 4.4 beta 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jester

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2024 2:41 am    Post subject: ArsTechnica previews KDE SC 4.4 beta 1 Reply with quote

Long-time usaluggers will know that I'm a Gnome/Openbox user with decent mileage in e17 too. I've not really had a great experience with KDE though there was a time when I preferred it (KDE2.x) to Gnome (1.x).

A lot of that stemmed from what I perceived to be 'clutter', a lack of coherence, and a nagging sense that I was not a million miles away from a Windows DE.

However, it is important to keep an open-mind, if we didn't we wouldn't even be using linux in the first place; the beauty of the linux landscape is diversity and choice.

In my recent dabblings with firstly, FreeBSD and more recently, Fedora, I've opted to stick with KDE and I'm currently on 4.3.3 on my second desktop. To quote myself, I've been quite impressed with the advances in KDE4.x.x:
jester wrote:
Holy Smoke! (well actually I said something out loud that I can't post here)

I ran this in a terminal:
Code:
su -c 'yum -y groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"`

and I now have kde-4.2.90 (I think Beta 2 of 4.3) - it is blazing fast - if the kde devs had skipped the public releases of kde4 up until this I would have been a lot more positive.

Quite simply stunned at the speed.

So, though it hasn't ousted Gnome on my main box, I do tend to pay a lot more attention to what's going on with KDE these days:

ArsTechnica wrote:
Some of the most impressive new features in KDE SC 4.4 can be found in KWin, the KDE window manager. It has finally gained support for tabbed window management. Users can join multiple windows into groups that can be moved around and managed together. KWin's Oxygen theme has been enhanced so that any windows in a group will appear as titlebar tabs. You can switch which window is active by clicking on one of the tabs in the titlebar.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I think innovation and improvement in the WM/DE arena drives competition which is exciting for us as users; I'm looking forward to seeing how the Gnome devs respond Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: