USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Open Office with extra Software

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Application News and Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2024 11:57 pm    Post subject: Open Office with extra Software Reply with quote

Open Office with extra Software for Windows, Linux, MAC, and Solaris http://distribution.openoffice.org/cdrom/iso_download.html

Almost 500MB ( windows version ) of compressed applications and Open office base ( 3.1.1 ...win now about 150MB with Java ), Detailed Documentation ( see below ) on how to use Open Office, and additional applications as well as an installer.

Very interesting and useful combination of applications for home and office.

Quote:
As of the 3.1.1 release, the standard DVD image has been reverted to a series of four CD images.

The standard ISO images are available for normal download through the following 4 links:
Windows®
Linux
Mac OSX®
Solaris®
Release Notes.

* The CD images are now single platform.
* The Windows® CD also contains some documentation.
* The Linux CD contains packages for both Debian-derived and RPM-based package managers. Both are also available for both i586 and X86_64 architectures.
* Both SPARC and Intel binaries are included on the Solaris CD.
* The resources needed to perform proper Quality Assurance on the PowerPC Macintosh builds are not available. We have included the image for the second Release Candidate for PowerPC. Distributors are requested to include a note to the effect that this build has not passed through QA, and end users should take care using it.
* Documentation is in its own folder on the Windows CD only, and has been updated to the latest available guides at the time the image was composed.
* Autostart functions correctly under Windows XP and Windows 7 RC (it has not been tested under Vista).

Modified: $Author: settantta $
$Date: 2024/11/21 01:10:04 $

Last edited by melloe on Mon Dec 14, 2024 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2024 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

link?

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2024 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOPS there was blue ( link ) on the email, and I forgot this don't come through, but I found the web page. http://distribution.openoffice.org/cdrom/iso_download.html

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2024 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, the 'documentation' only comes on the Windows CD. Is that because Windows users are so unfamiliar with OO.o?

melloe wrote:
and additional applications as well as an installer.

I wonder what you mean by 'additional software'.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2024 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder what you mean by 'additional software'.

I was only quoting the web site, so I can only guess from what I have done with it so far. I downloaded both the Lnux and Windows one. The Linux one is 680 MB. The windows one slightly smaller. I assume the Linux one is because it has both formats, but even there that is a lot of software beyond the normal Linux software even divided by 2. But in reality, I had no need at the moment for the Linux version as almost all come with 00.o, but I had a couple copies of Windows that did not have an office suite**, so that is what I have done with it so far. I assume other then documentation, the two are similar.

The thing I have noticed added that stands out in the windows version, other than documentation, are the templates and added direct access to some functions that seem to have added functions or examples.. Have not used windows enough to say more than that.

**The last windows office suite I bought was office 2024. I have ALPHA, BETA, and RC tested several since then, and got a copy of one I had tested through Tech Net a few years back and used it at times till the shop bogged down while using windows.

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2024 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Linux one is 680 MB. The windows one slightly smaller. I assume the Linux one is because it has both formats, but even there that is a lot of software beyond the normal Linux software even divided by 2.

Divide by 4...rpms and debs both 32 and 64 bit.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2024 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This blurb is wonderful to hear:
Open Office.org wrote:
100,000,000 downloads

On October 28th. 2024, the one hundred millionth person clicked on the Download OpenOffice.org button since version 3.0 of the software was announced just over one year ago.

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2024 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the Novell OpenOffice Edition with some cool extras. Because of the Novell deal with Microsoft they have some MS specified files for. This make it easier if you open MS Documents created with MS Office's.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Application News and Releases All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: