USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Rythmbox and Ubuntu Netbook Remix

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Audio and Video Applications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CubKid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2024 3:06 am    Post subject: Rythmbox and Ubuntu Netbook Remix Reply with quote

So I've been poking around with Ubuntu Netbook Remix on my Eee 1005Ha and finally picked up a 4gb SDHC card to install it to. One quirk I've noticed, and I've noticed this among other distros I've tinkered with (mainly 'buntu variants) is with rythmbox and iTunes shared libraries. It'll see them but it sits there saying "Retrieving songs from music share" but that's all the farther it gets. Any suggestions?

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2024 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a test, try Magnatune (about 500 songs total) or Jamendo, if Rhythmbox works there, I'd look for a way to verify if there is a communications issue with iTunes... credentials and ports and all that, then maybe visit the Rhythmbox website for specific details - this might be a new problem.

FWIW, I tried installing a distro to my Lexar Media 8 Gig 60X SDHC, and I configured the internal solid state drive as swap (fast swap!), but the SDHC card couldn't take it and started fscking every boot. From what I've read, SSDs are designed to adjust for losing bits and stuff, but the SDHC card is not as good at it. I've alsoe read 100,000 write cycles for SSDs, and maybe 20,000 write cycles for SDHC. Which supports the idea that SDHC can't take the abuse of being used for browser caches and the like.

CubKid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2024 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm.. I'll keep that in mind next time I go to boot it. I've got a spare 4GB thumbdrive I can install it to if that'd be a bit more robust. I think I had this same issue with another Debian based distro... either Ubuntu on an old Compaq I had or my Mini.. I'll look into it the next chance I get.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2024 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, dang. Got my data a bit twisted, but close to the right proportions.

A Wikipedia discussion of SSDs indicates 1,000,000 write cycles as the lower life limits for basic wear leveled Solid State Drives; while a different Wikipedia discussion on Flash memory indicates 100,000 up to 1,000,000 write cycles.

An interesting caution appears under the Flash memory topic of "Wear Leveling":
Quote:
For high reliability data storage, however, it is not advisable to use flash memory that would have to go through a large number of programming cycles.
Caches tend to do that.

Keep us posted about the iTunes issue, lotsa people like that site.

CubKid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2024 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. I'm considering dynamically resizing the partition to create ~10gb specifically for UNR... It came with a 160GB drive split into two partitions (half for OS, half for data storage) and I think I can create another one with out reformatting so with some luck I'll get it off of that SD Card.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Audio and Video Applications All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: