USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

1 Million Tux - We are searching 1'000'000 Linux users

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Member Blogs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Njordewind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2024 12:38 pm    Post subject: 1 Million Tux - We are searching 1'000'000 Linux users Reply with quote

We are searching 1'000'000 people who know Linux as a platform and have fallen in love with it. Are you one of them? Just register in our site (You'll find the information about in my profile!

This page exists as a apreciation to Linux and Open Source and to make it more popular. The global amount of Linuxers are incomprehensible low and sometimes scary.

This is not a counting page, that means that we are not interested in finding out what the best distribution or GUI is We only want to know how many people really like a open source platform with all the flexibility and have fallen in love with it. Although many users think that we are trying to compete directly to Linux Counter. We like to think of ourselfs like a decication site to all the users in the world who like and have contributed to make Linux and Open Source a better place!

Please visit us an share the site to your friends!

Thanks

Njordewind

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2024 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added my name; been actively using Linux systems since 1995 and even bought my first home PC in 1995, even though I have been using computers since 1973, professionally since 1979. Prior to Linux, I saw no need to have a system of my own at home. I used to bring home either terminals and a modem or a PC from work whenever I wanted to use a computer from home, and most of the work I did at home was actually work or research that pertained to work.

Since 1995, a lot more of my work at home has been to work more with Linux, and I've used it both personally and whenever I can, professionally as well.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2024 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added my thoughts. Unlike Brian, only been using pc's since 1995, Linux off and on since 1996 (yeah, I grew disgruntled with windows but quick), pretty much full time since maybe 2024-ish.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2024 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran COMPUTERS going back to 1973, (minicomputers the size of today's LARGE mainframes), then in 1979 I was a mainframe PL/1 and COBOL programmer for a couple of years, did not particularly like it, so I moved back to minicomputers and PCs - and got into UNIX and MS/DOS at that point in 1982. That led me to a full time job in the telecommunications industry, working at Digital Equipment. We developed large solutions for the telco support industry, such as writing billing systems, signalling support systems, back end office support systems, and so forth.

In 1985, I created an Email gateway architecture to connect VAX computers on a DECnet network using VMSmail and All-In-1 Office mail with UNIX mail.

In 1987, I co-authored an architectural document, depicting an X.25/X.29 "Cloud" (sound familiar with today's lingo?), an Ethernet local area network, and other wide area network components of the day, specifying the points at which we would need to develop conversions or converters between one network and another.

In 1995, I joined the Digital UNIX Engineering Group (UEG), first in the I18N group, writing internationalization libraries so that our UNIX system would work in multiple languages, and I personally helped localize at least a dozen language locales for the Digital UNIX V4.0 series for the Common Desktop Environment (CDE) - that ugly, but fast, by today's standards, desktop environment. It was in the hallway, working right next to the "DUDE" (Digital UNIX Development Environment) group that I took my curiosity of Linux past curiosity; I bought a book, bought a home computer, my first HOME PC, and started using Linux right away.

Rootboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2024 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masnick, did you ever know a guy by the name of John Malmberg from DEC?

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2024 3:24 am    Post subject: Not that I can recall any more Reply with quote

Rootboy, that does not ring a bell. Back when I was there, I may well have seen his name in the many VAXnotes conferences, but it has been since 1998 since I worked there, and probably the early nineties since I read a LOT of NOTES conferences.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2024 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, one more voice for Linux...sorta <G><

Rootboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Not that I can recall any more Reply with quote

masinick wrote:
Rootboy, that does not ring a bell. Back when I was there, I may well have seen his name in the many VAXnotes conferences, but it has been since 1998 since I worked there, and probably the early nineties since I read a LOT of NOTES conferences.

I wondered (and I might even have asked you before), we worked together at Saturn.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Member Blogs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: