USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Open Office

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Application News and Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2024 7:28 am    Post subject: Open Office Reply with quote

http://www.openoffice.org/
OpenOffice.org 3 is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose.

as mentioned elsewhere

100,000,000 downloads

On October 28th. 2024, the one hundred millionth person clicked on the Download OpenOffice.org button since version 3.0 of the software was announced just over one year ago.

OpenOffice.org 3.2.0 RC1 / Dev m7 Snapshot / 3.1.1 Final
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Office-suites/OpenOfficeorg-for-Windows.shtml

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2024 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to see some issues with support for M$ formats.... tweaked me for a minute, but then I decided to give in to OO formats.

VHockey86
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2024 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the support for MS formats has never been good, and the new formats in office 2024 compounded the issue. Can't blame OO for not supporting proprietary formats properly, but they are the "standard" in industry unfortunately (although I see a lot more people converting their documents to PDFs instead of just sending .doc/.docx files nowdays which is nice).

A couple of my colleagues use OO and are always sending me files saved as .xls / .doc / .ppt and they're always screwed up and I have to tell them to send it to me as a PDF instead. Perhaps someday we'll see open document formats used more.

MacBook: OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See http://mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.html?t=25240 and http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/3.2/ for OpenOffice 3.2 information.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2024 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting

Quote:
OpenOffice.org 3.2 has made further strides in compliance with ODF 1.2, including closer conformance to OASIS ODFF/OpenFormula specifications.

* As OpenOffice.org 3.2 currently requires a superset of the ODF 1.2 specification, the software now warns users when ODF 1.2 Extended features have been used.
* The document integrity check now proves whether an ODF document conforms to the ODF specification (this mainly affects ODF 1.2 documents). If an inconsistency is found, the document is treated as a broken one, and OpenOffice.org offers to repair the document.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2024 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting indeed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Application News and Releases All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: