USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

segmentation fault errors afer kernel upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Audio and Video Applications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hakova

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2024 4:23 am    Post subject: segmentation fault errors afer kernel upgrade Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am using a script to encode video, specifically from dvd to mkv using mplayer/mencoder by x264. Before the kernel upgrade via the rpm package of Mandriva 2024.0 (to 2.6.31.12-server-1mnb), the script was working perfectly, however after the upgrade, I started encountering segmentation fault in dvdxchap, part of ogmtools. Is this typical? In other words, may segfaults happen after the kernel upgrades? If so, is there something I can do about it? I already uninstalled/reinstalled ogmtools, nothing changed.

I hate things getting broken after an upgrade...

VHockey86
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the transcoder is using hardware acceleration via a kernel module of some sort and that module hasn't been recompiled against the new kernel?

MacBook: OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)
hakova

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2024 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That make sense, thanks VHockey86. However, it is still frustrating to lose a working feature after a generic upgrade. It is funny that dvdxchap is only a utility to make a list of dvd chapters BTW.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2024 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: segmentation fault errors afer kernel upgrade Reply with quote

hakova wrote:
Hi there,

I am using a script to encode video, specifically from dvd to mkv using mplayer/mencoder by x264. Before the kernel upgrade via the rpm package of Mandriva 2024.0 (to 2.6.31.12-server-1mnb), the script was working perfectly, however after the upgrade, I started encountering segmentation fault in dvdxchap, part of ogmtools. Is this typical? In other words, may segfaults happen after the kernel upgrades? If so, is there something I can do about it? I already uninstalled/reinstalled ogmtools, nothing changed.

I hate things getting broken after an upgrade...

I would not categorize this kind of issue as "typical", but it is not impossible to encounter such an issue. I would recommend going into the Mandriva repositories and grab back the kernel that you were using, and keep that kernel handy (if you don't still have it) and use it until another newer kernel appears that works. It is common to retain two or three kernels, and to keep the previous kernel on your system until you are certain that its replacement works. Again, these kinds of issues are not necessarily widespread, but Mandriva tends to be a cutting edge system, and cutting edge systems are not immune to occasional bloodshed, to use the metaphor. That does not make Mandriva a "bad" distribution, but wise system management practice does dictate having either alternatives or backups because even the best software can occasionally fail, and it is difficult to test every scenario in every case. Therefore, my recommendations are to: 1. Back up your system prior to upgrades (a best practice in both commercial and free software), 2. Keep an extra working kernel available, and if possible, 3. Even keep a spare distribution or a spare system handy. I do at least two of the three, and all three whenever possible and convenient.

VHockey86
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2024 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish all distros would follow the practice of not overwriting the kernel and keep the old one as another boot option. I always did that back in my gentoo days.

MacBook: OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VHockey86 wrote:
I wish all distros would follow the practice of not overwriting the kernel and keep the old one as another boot option. I always did that back in my gentoo days.

Yes, I agree. To me that is a "best practice", but not everyone follows the best practice, especially in this day and age! Smile

hakova

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@masinick: I actually kept my previous kernel as a boot option, but the curious thing is that even when I boot from that option, dvdxchap still makes the script exit with segmentation fault. I do have a couple of earlier kernel versions to boot from that I haven't tried yet, but I am pretty sure the one I tried used to cause no such problems before. With my limited knowledge, I thought maybe the kernel update changed something else other than the kernel itself, that inherited the problem retrospectively. I am not sure if that made sense to you though Laughing .

I do have an arch distro available but never tried this script there before. It is a good idea to explore, thanks.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2024 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hakova wrote:
@masinick: I actually kept my previous kernel as a boot option, but the curious thing is that even when I boot from that option, dvdxchap still makes the script exit with segmentation fault. I do have a couple of earlier kernel versions to boot from that I haven't tried yet, but I am pretty sure the one I tried used to cause no such problems before. With my limited knowledge, I thought maybe the kernel update changed something else other than the kernel itself, that inherited the problem retrospectively. I am not sure if that made sense to you though Laughing .

I do have an arch distro available but never tried this script there before. It is a good idea to explore, thanks.

That's why it is good to have both backups and if possible at least one or two alternatives. Perhaps the kernel is not the only variable, maybe a low level library also changed and caused a functional regression.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Audio and Video Applications All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: