USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

NEW • Elive 2.0 Elive

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2024 8:35 am    Post subject: NEW • Elive 2.0 Elive Reply with quote

NEW • Distribution Release: Elive 2.0
Elive After a long development period lasting more than two years, Samuel Baggen announced today the release of Elive 2.0, a Debian-based desktop Linux distribution featuring an optimised Enlightenment 17 window manager with plenty of desktop eye candy: "The Elive team is proud to announce the release of the Stable version 2.0 Codename Topaz. The new stable version of Elive has a huge list of improvements. Its ease of use makes it suitable for any kind of user along with a totally new Linux experience for those who have not tried Elive before. Changelog: autolaunchers - entirely rewritten with better stability and more features; user configurators - many user configurators added to configure anything; drivers - Linux kernel 2.6.30.9 with support for special hardware and other features like tuxonice (hibernation), Reiser4FS, ext4...." Visit the distribution's updated home page http://www.elivecd.org/
and read the detailed changelog http://www.elivecd.org/Download/Stable

Download: http://www.elivecd.org/Download/Stable#download
Or at www.disterowatch.com
elive_2.0_Topaz_new-kernel.iso (690MB, MD5).

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great desktop, everything worked live out of the box.
Its a good ern live. Wanted to install
One minor hitch. The install requires one go on line during install, and either be directed to pay 15EU to who knows what OR get an invitation before the install will complete.

Big turn off. Programmers have to eat, but there has to be a better way to do it <G><

Not that the OS don't seem to be worth , say, 25 EU

jester

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2024 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, it's FAQ #1 - guess they get a lot of surprised would be installers

elivecd.org wrote:
Hey, This is not FREE !
Why not ? If you are a truly defender of the free software you must know better what are you defending, you can start from here. Free software has no relation with gratis, please read this explanation from gnu.org. You need to know also that due to this confusion of terms, the word free software has changed to open source software in 1998.

After that you know that free has no relation with cost. This payment is required to pay the development of Elive, that is the full time work of the Developer 'Thanatermesis' and also to pay external development and/or services. Think that more money is made and more development can be possible to pay and so, a better final product (Elive). But in any of the cases, you are not obliged to pay for Elive, nobody obliges you to use Elive. Without any cost, Elive would not be the same, at least not with all its features, usefriendly things, and the lot of work involved. By other side, if your problem is that you can't possibly pay for any personal reason, we don't want to prevent anybody from using Elive so we propose alternatives which are described in the payment process...

...If you are unable to pay the small price (remember that Elive doesn't want to restrict anybody to use it, just want to support the project), you can request a invitation code by doing any of the listed jobs, that should be pretty equivalent to the price of the payment...

What is an invitation code ?

The invitation code is a simple way to allow to use Elive to the persons that can't possible to pay any payable thing by any reason. Of course the idea is not to give invitation codes to everybody instead to use the payment process, for that, we will request something similar in effort, for example, to write an article about Elive

How can I get a code ?

Write an article about Elive on any website you like, we give you a free invitation code for this, depending of the importance of the website and how good the article is you can obtain up to 5 invitations
If you need Elive for using in educational environments please contact us from the institutional email of your teacher, and we will review the case and be more than happy to provide you with as many free codes as you need for the instutional environment.

That's all ?

Yes, when you have what you need simply contact us (Thanatermesis) at Contact page. Note: remember that email is a very unrealiable system.

To use the codes you simply put (or paste) it in the invitations page

So I guess that if you wrote a flattering review of the livecd (your 2nd post as it stands may need a few edits), you might be eligible for a free install ... or you could install debian and then install e17 and compiz...

In all fairness he's within his rights but I wonder how the debian devs and the e17 team feel?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2024 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no trouble with him looking for a way to continue to do what appears from the from the live to be a great effort. He seems to have put the whole thing together well.
What I took issue with was the con artist way he went about it. <G><

In fairness, he does have a little pop up at the beginning of the install that there would be cost involved, and there is the provision for a freebie. But the big surprise all happens after partitions have been selected and the final part of the install. So, s**** one in to download, show one how great the software is with the live, and in the middle of the install break the news to the prosective user his or her install is halted till he or she pays up, or says they cannot afford a few EU for decent software... hmmmm

Unless he or she had dug around the site and found the FAQ, it is a shocking development. In the main pages I looked through after the experiment, I saw nothing about all this.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2024 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think that qualifies as software that by nature I'm not interested in. That's just underhanded making you DIG to find out that it's not gratis to install and test. I would think a MUCH better way of doing would be like (sigh) Microsoft Office. Free download, free install, free to try for x amount of time...if you like it, you then have to pay to get a full license, or it simply stops working.

g33kb0ard3r

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2024 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even just put it on the main page "You can download and run the liveCD, but I want money to install it." in nice big font. Being upfront about this would save quite a few would-be customers, IMO.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2024 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlmiller, g33kb0ard3r

I think you have the gist of it. If he was up front instead of operating like a con man, I am sure it would be more readily accepted. But that is just my opinion. It does seem to be quite good live.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: