USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 345, 15 March 2024

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2024 3:23 pm    Post subject: DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 345, 15 March 2024 Reply with quote

Quote:
DistroWatch Weekly
Welcome to this year's 11th issue of DistroWatch Weekly! With the first development release of Fedora 13, the focus of the online Linux community has once again turned to this popular distribution. But, as emerged in an online report last week, the project's developer and user community is up in the arms over the project's update policy and its blatant disregard for end users' needs. In other news, the openSUSE community releases new live CDs with Xfce and LXDE desktop environments, OpenBSD announces the upcoming release of version 4.7, and Wolvix resumes the development of the Slackware-based distribution with a new development build. Also in this week's issue, a first look at Haiku, an operating system that strives to be a successor of BeOS, and a questions and answers section that looks at loopback devices. All this and more in this week's issue of DistroWatch Weekly - happy reading!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Content:

Reviews: First look at Haiku
News: Fedora developers stage "unrest", a look at Mandriva's history, openSUSE 11.2 "LXDE" and "Xfce" live CDs, Wolvix 2.0.0
Questions and answers: Loopback devices
Released last week: Frugalware Linux 1.2, VortexBox 1.2, PC/OS 10.1
Upcoming releases: SliTaz GNU/Linux 3.0, Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 4
New distributions: Crociato O.S., Pack4Linux
Reader comments

DistroWatch Weekly

VHockey86
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2024 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time flies...doesn't seem all that long ago that I remember people talking about Fedora 3

MacBook: OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2024 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VHockey86 wrote:
Time flies...doesn't seem all that long ago that I remember people talking about Fedora 3

I tested every single Red Hat release up to Red Hat 9, after which the Fedora Core project started. I do not believe I tested Fedora Core 1, but tested 2 and every couple since then. I have read of people liking the even numbered versions, but 7, 9, and 10 were the ones that worked best for me, and in terms of appearance, 7 with the rich blue sky and hot air balloon was my visual favorite. I think that 12 and 13, though, if people really like features, are the ones to watch.

As far as cutting edge systems, for my needs, I use Mandriva Cooker rather than Fedora to follow the hot trends because I tend to follow desktop and mobile trends more than server trends, and Mandriva tracks the latest desktop trends as well as any distro, and Fedora leads the pack in server innovations - I watch both, but I USE Mandriva more. Day to day, though, Debian based distros get well over 90% of my use.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: