USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Google Gmail vs. M$ Exchange

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Software for Business
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2024 3:58 am    Post subject: Google Gmail vs. M$ Exchange Reply with quote

ComputerWorld wrote:
Google Gmail vs. hosted Microsoft Exchange

More and more businesses are looking to hosted e-mail services to reduce costs and ease management, and the choice often comes down to Google's Gmail (the key component of Google Apps) or a hosted version of Microsoft Exchange.

In this Network World Tech Debate we line up two experts to argue opposing views: Jonathan McCormick, chief operating officer, Intermedia, who says hosted Exchange wins, and Daniel Riley, vice president of services, Isos Technology, who says enterprises will make the exchange for Google Apps.

Pro M$ McCormick - "For many, the decision will hinge on the features and functions. Heavy BlackBerry and Microsoft Outlook users, for instance, may default to the safety of hosted Exchange providers and their proven ability to effectively support both tools. And while Exchange is perfect for these and other customers, it's important to look beyond features and functions, to consider the total experience the providers wrap around their hosted services.

Hosted Exchange services are available from a mature ecosystem of partners delivering the service direct from their own data centers and, alternatively, directly from Microsoft. To be sure, there are substantial differences between the companies, but generally they have loads of experience." ................

Pro Google Riley - "Another criticism posited by the Exchange faithful is that of enterprise support. "What happens when a Gmail user has support issues? There's not even a support phone number!" That's weird, because I was just speaking with a Google Apps support representative by phone yesterday. Clicking on the support tab in my Google Apps control panel then dialing the 10 digits was exhausting and confusing, but I still managed to get through it.

All Google Apps Premier Edition customers have a support phone number for critical issues and escalation needs. In addition, there is a large online community and support site with reams of information regarding general questions about the service. Not to mention, the growing number of Google Apps MSPs that offer direct channels for phone and e-mail support." ...............

MORE at the clik

Clik Wink

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a google premier edition user....... gotta say, it works great for me.
I simply encrypt things I don't want google to scan Wink

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2024 8:45 pm    Post subject: Could the days of Exchange Servers be numbered? Reply with quote

Given how easy it is to get an Exchange Server, an Outlook Server, or both, infected with corrupted data from the Internet, and the great need to choke down the system with antivirus software, I really do not see anything more dangerous or less secure about using a Google server for Email, and it sure is a lot easier to read and send information, no matter where I am.

When I was at Fidelity Investments and using a company provided - EXPENSIVE - Blackberry solution with the Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES), I was able to get a nicely integrated Email and Calendar on both my Blackberry and my Outlook desktop client. It did a good job, but why in the world should it be so expensive to maintain?

Google can accomplish virtually the same thing, and any devices that are capable of accessing the Internet - another desktop, a laptop, a Smart Phone - and all of them conceivably at the same time, can access the same information. There are faster solutions using Android than I ever experienced using Blackberry and the BES, though my Blackberry device would be nearly five years old today, whereas my Motorola Droid is just about four months old. The uptime, speed, and ease of typing and accessing other sources of information, at least in my opinion, are much richer now with the Android than they were with the Blackberry, though I am sure that the Blackberry is not standing still, but if it is, I think it will become obsolete fairly soon - so hopefully RIM is keeping up with the pace of change.

Unless Microsoft makes their software much more network aware, more reliable, and less expensive, I can actually see a day when Microsoft may not dominate. I make no guarantees, Microsoft may adapt. If they don't, though, mark my words, stuff like Android, the netbooks, iPod, iPad, iPhone, and even the Blackberry will make people want to use the newer tools instead of Windows. It could actually happen, but I am sure Microsoft will not simply stand still. They will evolve with new products too.

julian516

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2024 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more. Until I retired I worked in an Exchange-centered world. Not hard for me, really, since other people maintained it, but I heard enough from them to know how clumsy it must be. And so far as I am concerned Outlook is abominable (Quick, somebody explain Evolution!). So I used that stuff in the office and travelled with it.

I too have discovered that Google does what I need to have done and the beauty is that I can do it from any place on pretty much any sort of machine. It seems more efficient and every bit as reliable.

Of course I don't use my cell phone for this work, so OK, I'll live with my 15 inch screen and give up the pleasures of those itsy-bitsy cell phone apps.

Mas is right, I also have to give up the pleasures of AV software. Now I just don't know. Some things are hard ..........

Hard, but if I run the company I know where it is going.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2024 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Android, Moblin, and other similar initiatives you really do not need an expensive Email server any more. I would argue, in fact, that you get more and give up less with a free Email solution, and taking the Google road, while it has pros and cons, has good value.

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2024 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the premier edition isn't free...... unless i'm confused on the terms... I think it costs me $50 year... well worth it for me.

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/details.html

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2024 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am using might have some costs, in the sense that I am paying through Verizon Wireless as far as smartphone integrated access is concerned, but the rest of it is 100% free in cost to me. I do not subscribe to any premium services at all right now and yet they work just fine, better than many would expect.

julian516

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2024 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the face of it the cost-effectiveness of a Google solution is impressive. At $50 per head, if we have 500 employees we pay $25,000. We can continue using Outlook if we choose (my biases not withstanding) and we can sync with the de rigeur Blackberries, without which no power lunch is complete.

We certainly stand to make gains in server management, even if all we do is use slack capacity for other functions. In any case the dollar cost would not seem to be high, unless I do not understand what I read on the relevant Google pages.

Google insists that they make no claims to any data ownership and that clients can remove their data at any time. If that is so a experiment seems to carry little risk.

Seems an attractive idea to me, I must say.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Software for Business All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: