USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 346, 22 March 2024

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How often (on average) do you read DistroWatch Weekly?
Weekly
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Monthly
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Quarterly
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Semi-annually
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Annually
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Never or less than once a year
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2024 4:20 pm    Post subject: DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 346, 22 March 2024 Reply with quote

Quote:
Welcome to this year's 12th issue of DistroWatch Weekly! Protecting one's computer against malware in our interconnected, heterogeneous and (largely) anonymous world is a complex task. Luckily, there are free tools that help save plenty of time and effort; this week we'll take a brisk tour of Dr.Web LiveCD, a Linux-based system that offers free tools for system rescue, virus scanning, and data recovery errands. In the news section, Ubuntu stirs emotions over its unexpected placement of window control buttons, CrunchBang Linux announces a switch to Debian base for its upcoming release, Debian prepares for its annual project leader election with a woman on the candidates list, and the deputy head of LiMux explains the difficulties encountered while migrating tens of thousands of Munich's computers to Linux. Also in this issue, the Questions and Answers section provides hope and suggests tools for recovering files that were deleted by accident. Finally, two interesting distributions have been added to the DistroWatch database this week - a FreeBSD-based desktop live CD with GNOME and yet another XP look-a-like, this time from China. Happy reading!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Content:

Reviews: System rescue and virus scanning with Dr.Web LiveCD
News: Ubuntu stirs debates over button placement, CrunchBang switches base, Debian presents DPL candidates, LiMux explains migration status, state of four distributions
Questions and answers: Restoring deleted files
Released last week: Mandriva Enterprise Server 5.1, SystemRescueCd 1.5.0, Parted Magic 4.9
Upcoming releases: FreeBSD 7.3, SliTaz GNU/Linux 3.0, Mandriva Linux 2024.1 Beta 1
New additions: GhostBSD, Ylmf OS
New distributions: infinityOS
Reader comments

DistroWatch Weekly

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2024 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely read their newsletter. IIRC, only once this year did I read a part of the newsletter at the DistroWatch website. I do not read on a timetable such as quarterly or weekly. All told, I'm reading them randomly at about 2-3 'I'm reading it at DistroWatch' reads per the last 12 months.

Masinick, when I feel like taking the time to read your posts, they are usually informative enough to tell me if I want to bother going any further. Would be helpful, though, if all your DistroWatch newsletter posts were made in one thread, like how melloe does his "Test Release" thread.

Part of the issue I have about reading DistroWatch is that nearly everything in the blogosphere (I'm not implying DistroWatch is as bad as some) and on the internet seems to have the Ubuntu user base as it's focus. Because of that, I tend to not even look.
Quote:
News: Ubuntu stirs debates over button placement...
Yup, see what I mean? There it is, second line of the bullet items.

Once I see "Ubuntu", I usually just move on. I use Ubuntu, but I'm just tired of the discussions only being about Ubuntu when they say someone tries to say they are discussing Linux. Kinda like people are saying "Linus" this and "Linus" that when GNU also provided Linux code.

Anyways, I'm random.

In more ways than one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: