USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Pardus Linux 2024.1

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2024 2:08 am    Post subject: Pardus Linux 2024.1 Reply with quote

Distribution Release: Pardus Linux 2024.1
Pardus Linux Onur Küçük has announced the final release of Pardus Linux 2024.1: "The latest stable release of the 2024 family, Pardus Linux 2024.1 is ready. Pardus Linux 2024.1 comes with the latest stable KDE release, enhanced hardware support, and bigger software archive with up-to-date packages such as KDE 4.3.4, Linux kernel 2.6.31.11, OpenOffice.org 3.1.1, Mozilla Firefox 3.5.7, GIMP 2.6.8, X.Org Server 1.6.5, Python 2.6.4 and many more in just one CD. With the 2024.1 series, the Pardus ISO files are generated as hybrid images which can be burned to a CD, DVD or dumped to a hard disk-like media, such as a USB stick. The Pardus team thanks to you all who have developed, tested, translated and supported Pardus Linux." Here is the brief release announcement. http://liste.pardus.org.tr/pardus-announce/2010-January/000075.html

Download http://liste.pardus.org.tr/pardus-announce/2010-January/000076.html Live or install CD
or at www.distrowatch.com
Pardus_2009.1.iso (683MB, MD5). A live CD with support for English and Turkish languages is also available: Pardus_Calisan_2009.1.iso (697MB, MD5).

Better late and right than on time and messed up I suppose

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2024 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The April issue of Linux Format says that this is a very good performing system - Pardus 2024.1, and in particular, a good performing KDE system.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
I have not tried it yet. Been doing Mephis, SuSE, cronus, and Mandriva ..not necessarily in that order <G><

Have to try it.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2024 2:15 am    Post subject: Good distros abound right now Reply with quote

SimplyMEPIS, now released 8.5, has been running really well, and so has antiX M8.5, which has a prerelease version (Alpha, Beta, and Release Candidates completed) with a release imminent. I am using sidux right now after going through a number of DVD images on the Linux Format LXF 130 April 2024 issue yesterday. Just mostly getting on the computer to check Email and clear out the usual cruft.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2024 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mephis 8.5 still has the same problems it had. 600 x 600 when at all on newer boxes without a lot of CLI that may or may not give a little better resolution on those where it can be installed at all.. I have about given up on it on the newer boxes. No longer a NooB OS in those cases. There are too many better solutions that work out of the box for the NooB.

On the older ones it runs well.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2024 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

melloe wrote:
Mephis 8.5 still has the same problems it had. 600 x 600 when at all on newer boxes without a lot of CLI that may or may not give a little better resolution on those where it can be installed at all.. I have about given up on it on the newer boxes. No longer a NooB OS in those cases. There are too many better solutions that work out of the box for the NooB.

Even on my older machines I can't get Mepis to work well anymore. Doesn't work on either of my older desktops, nor any of my laptops well.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2024 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are manual solutions discussed on the site, but my point is if it requires cli adding sgxfi(?) or the french new nvidia drivers, as an example, it is no longer the easy, ( NooB ) distro for which it has been noted in the past.

Other than weird 1200 X or so 5 inch high display in the middle of a large monitor on one box, and 600 x 600 crappy display on another, ( on the ones that would install at all ) everything else seems to work out of the box if they could just get the xserver worked out.

I pointed out my problems with this during Alpha and BETA testing. I am pulling for them.

SuSE, Kubuntu, a couple Arch based, and several others installed on each of the aforementioned without much of a hitch. The only ones with problems were Debian based. In fairness, Thor, the TA790GXE AMD ATI, gave a few other OS, including win7 problems about drivers, but all was accomplished with win7 and Chakra, as an example, through regular update procedures. SuSE, Mint and Kubuntu worked OK out of the box.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2024 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlmiller wrote:
melloe wrote:

Even on my older machines I can't get Mepis to work well anymore. Doesn't work on either of my older desktops, nor any of my laptops well.

I have SimplyMEPIS on the D600, but I can also tell you that I have to keep an eye on that version. With the 8.0 release, the very first build did not work - got a PAE kernel error. By testing it, I got word to Warren and he fixed that in the very next build. Had another less serious issue with 8.5 in an early build, got it reported and fixed. I have, however, had to recently keep on top of it in order to get things going and keeping them working, so the long term support of that platform is a bit in question.

BTW, the Dell Latitude D600 right now has sidux and SimplyMEPIS on it. My son, who uses it, tends to like SimplyMEPIS for most things, but I think that is because he has different browser bookmarks set on the two systems - and he almost exclusively uses the browser - to do research - he is a nine year old bookworm, and he is like daddy. My mom, at least when I was a kid, used to say "You have a one track mind!" I chuckle, because that's my Karsten today! He plays games and listens to music on it too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: