USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Identifying 64 vs 32 bit distro versions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER
View previous topic :: View next topic  
julian516

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject: Identifying 64 vs 32 bit distro versions? Reply with quote

My apologies for a question that probably has an obvious answer, but for the life of me I cannot think of it.

I was showing a friend Linux Mint. "Very nice. Is that the 32 or 64 bit version?"

Quite honestly I did not remember. Ah, check the CD. Well, I have both 32 bit and 64 bit CDs! I do not remember which I installed!

OK, there must be some clever and easy way to make this identification. Hmmmm, really?

So after klutzing around for the answer I decided I had better ask. If one does not know if a running Linux system is 32 or 64 bit, how does one make an identification.?

Really, this has got to be easy - correct?

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2024 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could look at some of the libraries. They usually have "64" in the name.

What about:
Code:
uname -a

julian516

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2024 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uname -a !! That's it!

Boy, when I lose it I lose it.

Thanks a bunch Germ.

BTW, Mandriva 2024 continues to run very nicely indeed. I hope the forthcoming release is as nice!

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2024 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

julian516 wrote:
Thanks a bunch Germ.

You're welcome. Very Happy

Quote:
BTW, Mandriva 2024 continues to run very nicely indeed. I hope the forthcoming release is as nice!

Running great here, as well. I think 2024.1 Spring is going to be a great release. They are not rushing it this time. Even though 2024 was rushed it was a great release.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2024 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germ wrote:
Quote:

Running great here, as well. I think 2024.1 Spring is going to be a great release. They are not rushing it this time. Even though 2024 was rushed it was a great release.

Agreed that it is running great still, other than the latest kernel update TOTALLY fails on my hardware. Complete utter failure, will not even boot properly, 1/2 the services fail, etc. However, the older 2.6.31.12 kernel continues to soldier on without a single issue.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2024 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to uname -a, Bill, as far as the media itself, most of the time the long name of the ISO image has descriptive information about which platform type (or sometimes types) that it supports.

Funny, I ran 64 bit operating systems during my entire time in the Digital UNIX Engineering Group, and I ran them before then as part of the System Management Team, but other than some 64 bit servers at some financial services companies, I have not run a 64 bit desktop system since, at least not for personal use. Nevertheless, I was regularly using 64 bit workstations WAY BACK as early as 1992, right up until the summer of 2024.

julian516

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I cannot identify any difference in the way 32 and 64 bit systems run on any of my machines. I have assumed this makes some significant difference with servers under load.

In the case of Ubuntu I run the 64 bit version because that is what System 76 specifies. As long as my Pangolin laptop is under warranty I'll run it. I do hope this latest LTS proves to be stable. If it is it will stay on. If not I think Mepis can replace it handily as my "go-to" system.

What do I like these days? Well I do need to settle on one something! At the moment I enjoy running Mepis 8.5 and Mandriva 2024, both with KDE environments. Mandriva may not be Debian, but it surely has been very nice. (I have not had tmiller's kernel problem, thank heaven.) Oh, and I can't seem to stay away from the addictive sidux, also with KDE!

I have the latest antiX on a jump-drive and a lovely system it is, really a terrific travel companion. It is so much nicer than hauling a laptop.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2024 4:16 pm    Post subject: Those are what I run too Reply with quote

I have the Mandriva Cooker on one system and PCLinuxOS. These represent RPM based distros. Then I have sidux, antiX, and SimplyMEPIS plus Debian Squeeze representing DEB based distros specifically and Kubuntu representing the Ubuntu family right now with Xubuntu waiting. I test lots of others too but these are the ones that get to stay.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: