USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Ubuntu-10.04 (for alpha, beta, RC and final)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What are your first impressions of 10.04?
I love it!
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
It's an improvement over 9.xx
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
It's the same as before
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
It's somewhat unstable for me
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
This is not useable yet
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'm holding off until the final release
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
I'm following developments but won't install
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Never tried an Ubuntu and still won't
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2024 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masinick
I have had both results
A very concise menu and entries, and in some cases a LONG list, including a distro no longer there. Having looked at the entries, sometimes in both cases , I don't have an explanation. but then, I don't claim to be a Guru.

I have also regained distros I had lost installing another distro by installing a buntu test I wanted to use anyway with the whole mess ( careful to use a different partition (s) <g><. Sometimes after an abortive attempt to FIX it in GRUB. OOPS

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2024 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlmiller wrote:
Don't know how it works, but Ubuntu uses os-prober to autofind other OS's. This is available in most other linux distributions repositories also.

Yes, I had been looking for that package for some time and found it maybe six or seven months ago. I believe that Ubuntu does more than just use that package. I believe that they have some custom code that CALLS this package, as do some other distributions. I agree with Mel that Ubuntu does better than some in utilizing it, but I remember seeing some extraneous images in some of my grub menu.lst files, and I think Ubuntu may have been in that bunch. I will check the next time I am in it and verify this.

jester

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2024 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A review of Lucid went up on Tom's today. Bit questionable from a technical perspective in parts, but may be of interest considering Tom's is largely a Windows site these days ... shame 10 years ago it was a different story...

I'm still using Lucid 99.9% at home. I exported my work Outlook calendar to my gmail calendar and then synced it with Evolution on here and that's working well for me.

I haven't yet felt the urge to start Maverick Testing though that is up and running and if you set update manager to 'normal' instead of LTS release, you'll be offered a chance to upgrade to 10.10 along with the big 'Alpha software ahead' warnings.

Back to the reason for linking the Tom's article - the author also raves about the 'just works' factor as well as UI polish he experienced which really wowed me when I first gave Lucid a try.

A lot going on in life at the moment (positive) that keeps me away from the forum and also makes me a bit cautious about upgrading/tinkering right now - a working system will be a must for the next few weeks, and 10.04LTS is fitting that bill very well.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject: Some practical comments about Ubuntu compared to others Reply with quote

@jester, I think that there is a lot to be said for a system that simply works with little tinkering, yet one that is also flexible enough that it can be successfully tinkered with in order to accomplish something not originally envisioned by the developers, or something that is configured incorrectly. The Ubuntu series, in my mind, does a superb job at creating an initial system that is reasonable to use for a wide variety of tasks and purposes. Like anything else, it does not cover every possible scenario, yet it does a very good job of handling many things and doing them well. The LTS releases, such as the 10.04 release that just came out (and for the sake of others, these have been coming out every two years) provide a lot of stability at the expense of not much change, except for security and defect related issues. Therefore, they make good systems to use as either a desktop or a server in a work environment.

I could nit pick at Ubuntu, and some do, because of the fact that it has an excellent initial installation and configuration program, but it is criticized for lacking a rich graphical system management environment. A few people I know complain about Ubuntu because when they add or remove packages or otherwise modify the default configuration, they find themselves having to resort to command line expertise in order to solve problems.

The defunct Libranet distribution in the 1999-2006 time frame was one of the best ever at providing a good combination of ease of use with outstanding system management tools. You could find distributions that were perhaps fancier or seemingly easier to install, but once you get past that, it was difficult to find any system with a richer assortment of useful system management tools. Mandriva, Fedora, and OpenSUSE are the three others that come to mind that have solid management tools. Each of them has other issues from the standpoint of the beginner, because they appear to be easy, but they have a much higher incidence of volatile packages, plus some of the tools, while extremely powerful, are not always as easy to the beginner as first appearances might otherwise suggest.

Ubuntu, therefore, in quite a few respects, has more going for it than its detractors would suggest. Again, not perfect, but an excellent effort that moves in the right direction in many areas and continues to improve.

jester

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2024 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@masinick: all fair points and don't get me wrong, the 'tinkerer within' is alive and kicking - wanna know how close I am to pulling the trigger on maverick alpha Wink - but, I'm at a junction where I need a system up and stable 100% of the time for a few weeks.

I will be straight up and admit to being a massive ubuntu naysayer until 10.04. As of late Canonical really seem to have got to grips with where they want ubuntu to go and are executing on that pretty much to the their word.

At the end of the day, it doesn't offer me the flexibility of my old faves Gentoo and Arch, and I could get called on my sig and be told to stick with OSX if I want stability but I would counter that I fear for my G4 PowerBook at times of late, so ubuntu on the i7 it is - my other distros are all there (and updated) when/if the unusually long ubuntu honeynoon glow fades.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2024 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@jester, I like to tinker at times, too, but I find myself having fewer and fewer moments to do so, and therefore I have to pick what I do and do not choose to tinker with. Given my greater experience with the Debian derivatives, that's where I go for 90% of my Linux computing cycles and I do so for both my stable (non tinkering) systems and my cutting edge tinkering systems. When possible, I stick to my cutting edge systems, which are surprisingly reliable, but I have my stable backups at all times. Right now, sidux is my cutting edge system of choice, antiX is my flexible intermediate test system and SimplyMEPIS is my ever stable backup, and these each use Debian based repositories, Sid for sidux, Testing for antiX, and Stable (Lenny right now) for SimplyMEPIS.

jester

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@masinick: your tinkering time will dwindle, your boy's growing up Smile you don't need an excuse, you have an irrefutable reason to make best use of your time, as you did at the weekend (enjoyed that post in Community)

I think it's great that you share the computer time with him too, even if you may not fully enjoy what he is watching/listening to

Back to where I started - very few of us would be using linux, especially the longer-standing members, if they did not have some kind of 'tinker-DNA'; we will all be drawn to that to some extent - right now, I am excited about android froyo aka 2.2, but more on that another time

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2024 5:48 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

jester wrote:
@masinick: your tinkering time will dwindle, your boy's growing up Smile you don't need an excuse, you have an irrefutable reason to make best use of your time, as you did at the weekend (enjoyed that post in Community)

I think it's great that you share the computer time with him too, even if you may not fully enjoy what he is watching/listening to

Back to where I started - very few of us would be using linux, especially the longer-standing members, if they did not have some kind of 'tinker-DNA'; we will all be drawn to that to some extent - right now, I am excited about android froyo aka 2.2, but more on that another time

Thanks for your affirmations, Jester! During the morning and sometimes in the evening or when the weather is less than desirable, my nine year old son and I will get on the computer. He will use his computer - the Dell Latitude D600 that I reserve almost exclusively (except for maintenance) for his use - to research. Amazing what he knows. If he wants to find out about something, he gets on the computer. Reads. Looks for things he wants me to buy for him, from books to music to animals, such as cats, dogs, and hamsters.

Now that the weather is better, he researches things like the opening day for Clark's Trading Post in the White Mountains, what's going on in Boston, and stuff like that. More "normal" for his age, he also plays plenty of action games. Just so I know that he's not totally past his age, once in a while, he goes back to stuff that he liked when he was younger. I tell him that it is OK to like new stuff as he grows but it is always OK to still enjoy stuff that young children enjoy (I will ALWAYS enjoy such things myself)! Smile

The computer is very handy, but a means to an end as a user and a paycheck as a professional, but I can think of hundreds of things to do other than using the computer - and I expect to be doing many of them over the next few months, not only with my son but with my daughter as well.

jester

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2024 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@masinick: I was pretty convinced that you had 10 kids (in binary at least) Wink And I think you said before that your daughter is a whizz on computers too. Summer's just around the corner - time to get that tribe out into nature and eating either over or under cooked food Very Happy

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter is not a whiz on computers, but in my attempts to demonstrate just how easy it is to use Linux, my daughter, my son, and my former wife have all used Linux systems. My daughter prefers just using Windows and Facebook, and uses it primarily in "chat mode" to chatter with her 11 year old friends.

My son is much more like me in his use of computers. He will chat, but for the most part finds that a waste of time - so many good movies to watch, so many good books to research on line, so many cute animal pictures to find (and beg mommy and daddy to GET him SEVERAL). We are teaching him self control; he is still quite young! Wink

Oh yes, and my former spouse is now 100% sold on the use of Android based smart phones. She likes Blackberry models next, but has tried the HTC Droid Eris, liked it, then the Motorola Droid, liked it more, and now the HTC Droid Incredible, which she likes best of all. She claims she'll actually keep this one. I have told her all along that what a Linux kernel brings is the stability and flexibility. What Google brings is innovation, and that's what's so nice about the Droid series, flexible innovation, still changing and evolving as new ideas emerge.

So my wife and daughter are not really geeks, they are highly social creatures, needing to connect with their peers almost constantly. Linux is nothing more than a tool for them that enables them to connect quickly and efficiently.

jester

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@masinick: my mistake then, bad memory, but no doubt, daughter and son, in turns frustrate you and melt you; treasure them for who they are, and let's hope time machines are never invented - what a way to cheapen childhood

jester

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2024 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jester wrote:
... wanna know how close I am to pulling the trigger on maverick alpha Wink ...

Code:
jester@blackswan:~$ uname -a
Linux blackswan 2.6.34-4-generic #11-Ubuntu SMP Tue May 25 18:53:52 UTC 2024 x86_64 GNU/Linux
jester@blackswan:~$ lsb_release -c
Codename:   maverick

so what was I saying...

It works but there is a little breakage in Update Manager it seems - will have to investigate. Also, the new kernel did not get written to Grub2 so another fix item. I guess it maybe time to start the 10.10 Maverick Meerkat alpha, beta, RC, and final thread Wink

jester

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I've had about 50 packages come through today in update manager and as you see the box is still alive

next week June 3 sees the first Alpha release, and that should be borne in mind, still, for the foolhardy, new toys are always fun Wink

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2024 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well! I tried Ubuntu 10.04. The first Ubuntu in several cycles. Other than it did not find Windows, and no place did I see an option to specify existing OS during install **, it seems to be a very much improved NooB type OS. At least it is not Brown. <G>< I guess I could get used to Gnome if I had to. Fortunately, I don't have if I don't want to.

**This is the first time I have ever seen a bumtu miss windows, so I suppose I should consider problems with the windows boot loader, even though it had worked well last time I booted it. After I try to add it to GRUB manually

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2024 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all boot loaders do a search and discovery during installation. I find a LOT of disparity in this particular area. Some don't try to add ANY other distributions or systems, others try, but if you have a LOT of other boot loader entries, they seem to poach entries from the other menus, which do not always translate properly.

Hey, if you are going to go to that kind of trouble, why not simply parse the boot directories for the bootable images? They are not THAT difficult to figure out, but that's REAL WORK! Smile

I am on Kubuntu and it gets a decent score. I found Prism hiding in the repo, and though not installed by default, I have it now, and it is one of the few distributions (the Ubuntu's) that has it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: