USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

: Slackware Linux 13.1

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2024 11:44 pm    Post subject: : Slackware Linux 13.1 Reply with quote

Distribution Release: Slackware Linux 13.1
Slackware Linux Patrick Volkerding has announced the release of Slackware Linux 13.1: "Yes, it's that time again! After many months of development and careful testing, we are proud to announce the release of Slackware version 13.1. Slackware 13.1 brings many updates and enhancements, among which you'll find two of the most advanced desktop environments available today: Xfce 4.6.1, a fast and lightweight but visually appealing and easy to use desktop environment, and KDE 4.4.3, a recent stable release of the new 4.4.x series of the award-winning KDE desktop environment. We continue to make use of HAL and udev, which allow the system administrator to grant use of various hardware devices according to users' group membership." See the release announcement http://www.slackware.com/announce/13.1.html and release notes http://www.slackware.com/releasenotes/13.1.html for a detailed description of the release. The CD and DVD images of Slackware Linux 13.1 should start appearing on the project's FTP and HTTP mirrors http://www.slackware.com/getslack/ shortly; in the meantime the distribution is available for download via BitTorrent: http://www.slackware.com/getslack/torrents.html and at www.distrowatch.com slackware-13.1-install-dvd.iso (4,118MB), slackware64-13.1-install-dvd.iso (4,169MB).

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2024 2:37 am    Post subject: Made it on Slashdot too Reply with quote

This release of Slackware made it right away over on Slashdot, too:
link to Slashdot article

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, seeding it now.
0/126 41/435

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2024 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the Slackware announcement and this version really ought to be feature rich and solid for those who enjoy a Slackware kind of experience. I may have to get this one. For me, Slackware was the very first Linux distribution that I ever tried out. It looks just the same now as it did then as far as the basics, but in particular, the X server configuration is vastly improved over what it was fifteen years ago when I first tried it out.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2024 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Slack while I had it, but I've moved on toward a more user-friendly Debian deriv. Slack didn't work for me when I changed from one box to another (back when I had my herd of China Cheepies), so I went back to something else. I still think about getting a Slack install every so often, but just haven't had the time, etc. My Arch box is in storage now and all I use is DreamLinux on the lappy .... I don't even use my Mepis install on the lappy anymore ..... too much else to do ......

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2024 7:14 pm    Post subject: Stick with what works; Slackware is a good one though Reply with quote

JP wrote:
I liked Slack while I had it, but I've moved on toward a more user-friendly Debian deriv. Slack didn't work for me when I changed from one box to another (back when I had my herd of China Cheepies), so I went back to something else. I still think about getting a Slack install every so often, but just haven't had the time, etc. My Arch box is in storage now and all I use is DreamLinux on the lappy .... I don't even use my Mepis install on the lappy anymore ..... too much else to do ......

Why mess with something that works?

The hobbyist in several of us here will always find something appealing about Slackware. Actually, both the huge static kernel and the modular kernel used by Slackware should include virtually all currently known devices available at the time it was created, so more than likely, the problems you had with Slackware were in the equipment rather than the system itself. Personally, I have never had a Slackware installation fail.

Way back in November 1995, just after I bought my Micron Millenium P100 (100 MHz, not GHz) system, with 16 MB of memory, which I upgraded to 32 MB, it had a 2 MHz Diamond Stealth graphics card. At the time I got the system, I grabbed a recent Slackware book, which had a CD from which I could build a Slackware system. In those days, you had to create TWO floppy disks from the CD media in order to boot the system, a BOOT Floppy and a ROOT floppy. You would use these two floppies to bootstrap load the system, and then the rest of things would come from the CD. You also had to use the FIPS command based tool if you want to create multiple disk partitions.

In the case of this particular system, the version of Slackware in the book was older than my system, so it did not have an up to date graphics driver for the Diamond Stealth graphics card. Fortunately, I also had the Internet at work, and our network was part of one of the largest Class A networks (main number of the network was 16), so I had no trouble either researching or finding out more about Diamond Stealth video drivers. I found the specs that I needed and I was able to download the update to the X server driver. I copied it to a floppy disk to carry home, then loaded it on my home system.

Once I did that, the light Slackware system, which was simple enough that it did not start up a bunch of extra and superfluous processes, was so well honed and tuned that at least from a responsiveness standpoint, that 100 MHz system outperformed a 200 MHz, 64 bit UNIX system. Mind you, when I would compile programs or do something that could take advantage of that faster workstation, the limitations of the home system became more apparent. Still, the nimbleness of that old Slackware system, once I got the kinks ironed out, was impressive.

Way back then, Windows 95 also performed well, albeit with the inherent limitations found in Windows. The Slackware distribution could easily outmaneuver Windows - this was somewhere around Slackware 2 -2.3.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2024 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't blaming the troubles on Slack, it worked on one of the Cheepies, but not on another .... tried it on a couple as a matter of fact ... I had several OS's that would work on different ones, wouldn't work on others ..... just the crappy hardware Wink

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2024 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP wrote:
I wasn't blaming the troubles on Slack, it worked on one of the Cheepies, but not on another .... tried it on a couple as a matter of fact ... I had several OS's that would work on different ones, wouldn't work on others ..... just the crappy hardware Wink

I remember well, JP, and that is why Tim and I had to get that D600 over to you. That has seemed to stop the constant distro problems you were having. They were really hardware, not software, problems.

Glad you found something that works well for you on both counts.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2024 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that D600 Wink THX Exclamation Exclamation

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2024 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP wrote:
I love that D600 Wink THX Exclamation Exclamation

My son gets the D600 now, but he was grounded from having it at home, so for a while he can only use it under my supervision - has to learn how to responsibly use Internet and Email before he regains privileges - nine year olds sometimes have to learn the hard way.

I had to replace a disk and a fan, but otherwise she's still going! Smile

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2024 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time there is a new version of a major distro, it is a great time.

For added fun, most of the derivatives should be putting forth an offering in the coming days, and adding to their their repositories. Some of it new and exciting software. Some will end up in other repositories. I ain't a software guy, but this means more of my "stuff" will work and work better. WOO WOO

I DO love FOSS <G><

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: