USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Mepis site down May 18-21

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
julian516

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2024 7:40 pm    Post subject: Mepis site down May 18-21 Reply with quote

The Mepis webiste, including the forum, is down. The following notice is on Mepiscommunity.org:

Quote:
The whole MEPIS site continues to be down. The problem is upstream, and started Tuesday morning, May 18. That means that mepis.org, the MEPIS Wiki, and MepisLovers Forum are currently inoperable. Warren comments: "the MEPIS servers are down due to a problem at the data center--I don't have an ETA for when it will be fixed." We are just going to have to be patient...

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2024 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed this. I saw the Tweet from Warren but I did not see the 3 day downtime note. I checked earlier today though and the site, unfortunately, was still down. This is too bad, because I am the Wiki documentation project manager for revamping the Wiki. We are going to keep stuff specific to earlier releases, but break each difference out into release specific Wikis. That came to a grinding halt this week, sadly.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masinick wrote:
I am the Wiki documentation project manager for revamping the Wiki.

You're a busy man, Brian ..... where do you find the time??

julian516

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2024 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it helps not to sleep ???? Laughing

Good news for Mepis fans. Mepislovers is back up so the forum is back in business. The main Mepis site still was not up as of a few moments ago.

Apparently Warren Woodford has had to work very hard to solve technical problems for the people who host his Mepis site. Sounds as though it has been a tough time for the last several days.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2024 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP wrote:
masinick wrote:
I am the Wiki documentation project manager for revamping the Wiki.

You're a busy man, Brian ..... where do you find the time??

I get a few moments here, a few moments there. That's all I can give. My son is getting my time this weekend. We went to Boston last night, and enjoyed ourselves so much that we went back again today. We drove down I-93 to Medford and caught the "Orange Line" train - the "T", and went to Haymarket, which is where the Quincy Market, North Market, South Market, and Fanuel Hall are located, then we went down the street to the Marriot Long Wharf and took a "T" ferry to the Charlestown Naval shipyard and went aboard the USS Cassin Young, Christened in 1943 in World War II after the Pearl Harbor hero who rescued many from two of the ships in the harbor. We did not go aboard the USS Constitution; too long of a line and $$$.

We went back to the Market and got something to eat, then took a long walk up Beacon Hill over to the Charles River, only to find some noisy River Fest - we were not into that, we had gone there a year ago, enjoyed the sailboats on the Charles River and the Hatch Shell on the Esplanade, with a pond and a brick bridge.

We walked back to Fanuel Hall, got a bite for dinner, then we finally left. My feet are tired now. Karsten is looking at pictures of the Cassin Young and the Titanic. He was listening to "Nearer My God to Thee", the song that the musicians played on the deck of the Titanic (at least in the 1997 movie). He was also listening to the Celine Dionne theme song from that popular movie.

We're relaxing now. He's going to be better at computers than I'll ever be. He's finding all this stuff now by searching on the Internet! He is nine. I used my first computer sometime between 16 and 17 years old. I did use the Usenet as early as the eighties, but the

julian516

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2024 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, this made my morning. What a great day for father and son!

It does help to remind all of us that there are many aspects of life far more important than our hobby.

Well done Mas

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2024 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss that interaction with my Sons. My youngest would have been 47 this year
But my Grandson has been coming by to set and talk on occasion, and my lady friends Teenage Son comes by pretty often. He has never had a Father to depend on, and his excuse is to get on myspace, but he sets and talks about this and that and teenage questions <G>< Questions he don't want to ask his Mom.

Great Gand kids are getting old enough to be next to fill that void if I stick around long enough.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2024 12:17 am    Post subject: Supporting MEPIS Reply with quote

Hey, Warren Woodford really put a LOT of extra time into his server environment during that outage. By the way, it was none of Warren's fault, it was his ISP. They had a bad mother board on one of their servers. Warren even diagnosed the likely cause for them, but it took 12-14 persistent bug reports from him and then directions on what to do to get it right. Too bad he can't find a better ISP - maybe he will some day.

Meanwhile, I not only helped test the 8.5 release, I just ordered two things - a BIG 8.5 32 bit DVD, which I am running LIVE right now with the toram option (really FAST that way), and I also ordered a six month download subscription. That way I contributed to the company and in case things get tight, I'll have download access for another six months, plus I am helping their bottom line. I hope a few other MEPIS fans will either donate a few bucks to Warren or buy one or more products. The DVD is VERY reasonably priced, as is everything else. You know what I think about the software; it is ROCK SOLID.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: