USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

BSD's

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2024 11:23 pm    Post subject: BSD's Reply with quote

MaheshaBSD is a live, modular distribution based on FreeBSD. It can be written to a USB stick. Users can surf the Internet anonymously (TOR), use Adobe Flash, and use ClamAV, TestDisk and PhotoRec. MaheshaBSD also speaks (espeak). Its X environment is based upon IceWM.

MaheshaBSD is a (LiveCD/DVD/USB) modular toolkit! You can pack FreeBSD installation disks into it; make a bootable USB stick with it; copy files to and from any computer running MaheshaBSD - all necessary instructions are written in the tips. Certainly, IceWM is not for a normal use, neither MaheshaBSD. But to boot off MaheshaBSD and watch video installation instructions for FreeBSD on youtube is very, very helpful. If your CD-ROM device is broken, MaheshaBSD, too, helps. In many similar cases, if their neighbor has a virus (in Windows), they can help him with Clamav Antivirus packed into MaheshaBSD; if a CD-ROM device is broken, MaheshaBSD instructs you how to put it on a USB stick (and recover your data).

http://www.freebsd.nfo.sk/maheshaeng.htm

Dowload on or near top of page in red

Tips http://www.freebsd.nfo.sk/maheshaeng.htm#1

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2024 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: BSD's Reply with quote

melloe wrote:
MaheshaBSD is a live, modular distribution based on FreeBSD. It can be written to a USB stick. Users can surf the Internet anonymously (TOR), use Adobe Flash, and use ClamAV, TestDisk and PhotoRec. MaheshaBSD also speaks (espeak). Its X environment is based upon IceWM.

MaheshaBSD is a (LiveCD/DVD/USB) modular toolkit! You can pack FreeBSD installation disks into it; make a bootable USB stick with it; copy files to and from any computer running MaheshaBSD - all necessary instructions are written in the tips. Certainly, IceWM is not for a normal use, neither MaheshaBSD. But to boot off MaheshaBSD and watch video installation instructions for FreeBSD on youtube is very, very helpful. If your CD-ROM device is broken, MaheshaBSD, too, helps. In many similar cases, if their neighbor has a virus (in Windows), they can help him with Clamav Antivirus packed into MaheshaBSD; if a CD-ROM device is broken, MaheshaBSD instructs you how to put it on a USB stick (and recover your data).

http://www.freebsd.nfo.sk/maheshaeng.htm

Dowload on or near top of page in red

Tips http://www.freebsd.nfo.sk/maheshaeng.htm#1

Looks interesting! I am not a Mahesha fan, but when it comes to software, creating something that is easy to use is a good idea. Hey, if I like it, I can always create ChristBSD or something like that! Smile After all, Jereme Hancock was one of the early Web developers who created his own UbuntuCE, after which there was a Muslim Edition, then a satanic edition, then Ubuntu put a stop to the name nonsense. People could derive from it, they just could not use the name Ubuntu - fair enough. I do not see that BSD has any hold on that name - or maybe they do, but I've not seen it yet.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2024 5:42 pm    Post subject: NetBSD 5.1 RC1 Reply with quote

Development Release: NetBSD 5.1 RC1
NetBSD Soren Jacobsen has announced the availability of the first release candidate for NetBSD 5.1: "On behalf of the NetBSD Release Engineering team, I am proud to announce that the first release candidate of NetBSD 5.1 is now available for download. Those of you who prefer to build from source can continue to follow the netbsd-5 branch, but the netbsd-5-1-RC1 tag is available as well. There have been quite a lot of changes since 5.0. See src/doc/CHANGES-5.1 for the full list, or your platform's INSTALL notes for a summary. Please help us test this and any upcoming release candidates as much as possible. Remember, any feedback is good feedback. We'd love to hear from you, whether you've got a complaint or a compliment." See the release announcement http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-announce/2010/04/29/msg000102.html
and the changelog for further information. http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-5.1_RC1/CHANGES-5.1
Installation CD images for 41 processor architectures are available for download from here; http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-5.1_RC1/iso/

quick links to i386 and amd64 \ at www.distrowatch.com
ISOs (SHA512): i386cd-5.1_RC1.iso (237MB), amd64cd-5.1_RC1.iso (240MB).

NetBSD stable download links http://www.netbsd.org/mirrors/#iso

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2024 10:22 pm    Post subject: OpenBSD 4.7 Reply with quote

NEW • BSD Release: OpenBSD 4.7
OpenBSD Bob Beck has announced the release of OpenBSD 4.7: "We are pleased to announce the official release of OpenBSD 4.7. This is our 27th release on CD-ROM (and 28th via FTP). We remain proud of OpenBSD's record of more than ten years with only two remote holes in the default install. As in our previous releases, 4.7 provides significant improvements, including new features, in nearly all areas of the system. Install and upgrade process changes: take more care to ensure all file systems are umounted when restarting an install or upgrade; if no possible root disk is found, keep checking until one appears; the default FTP directory for -stable is now the release directory instead of the snapshot directory. Some highlights: GNOME 2.28.2, KDE 3.5.10, Xfce 4.6.1, MySQL 5.1.42, PostgreSQL 8.4.2, Postfix 2.6.5...." Read the detailed release announcement http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.openbsd.misc/173739
for a complete list of all changes and improvements.

Download: http://www.openbsd.org/ftp.html
Or at www.distrowatch.com
i386/install47.iso (244MB, SHA256, torrent), amd64/install47.iso (272MB, SHA256).

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: FreeBSD 8.1-BETA1 Reply with quote

NEW • Development Release: FreeBSD 8.1-BETA1
FreeBSD Ken Smith has announced the availability of the first beta release of FreeBSD 8.1: "The first of the test builds for the FreeBSD 8.1 release cycle is now available for amd64, i386, ia64, powerpc, pc98, and sparc64 architectures. Files suitable for creating installation media or doing FTP based installs through the network should be on most of the FreeBSD mirror sites by now. The ISO images for this build do not include packages other than the docs. For amd64 and i386 'memstick' images are also available that can be copied to a USB 'memory stick' (also called 'thumb drive') and used for installs on machines that support booting from that type of media. If you are updating an already running machine the CVS branch tag is RELENG_8, or if you prefer SVN use 'stable/8'." Read the full release announcement for further details and upgrade instructions. http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2010-May/057040.html

Download: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors-ftp.html
Or at www.distrowatch.com
FreeBSD-8.1-BETA1-i386-dvd1.iso (851MB, SHA256), FreeBSD-8.1-BETA1-amd64-dvd1.iso (961MB, SHA256).

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2024 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may give PC-BSD a spin again Wink Probably just as a live CD, but that MaheshaBSD looks kind interesting as well .... maybe that instead Wink

P.S. - After looking over the Mahesha website, I think I will go with PC-BSD or maybe Desktop BSD if they have a usable live CD Wink

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2024 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you intend to move beyond the live CD, I agree PC BSD is a viable option to work with a BSD. If it is on an HD with another OS, it is somewhat iffy if it would automatically find other Linux. Will probably require intervention. CAUTION... Required a primary partition in the past. I assume it still does. If one does not have a primary vacant they want to use and decides to use the extended, PC-BSD will convert the ENTIRE extended ( all logicals ) to a single primary.

OTOH, free or Open BSD give one a lot more control over the install, but with a LOT more interaction.

Last edited by melloe on Tue Jun 01, 2024 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2024 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

melloe wrote:
I you intend to move beyond the live CD, I agree PC BSD is a viable option to work with a BSD. If it is on an HD with another OS, it is somewhat iffy if it would automatically find other Linux. Will probably require intervention. CAUTION... Required a primary partition in the past. I assume it still does. If one does not have a primary vacant they want to use and decides to use the extended, PC-BSD will convert the ENTIRE extended ( all logicals ) to a single primary.

OTOH, free or Open BSD give one a lot more control over the install, but with a LOT more interaction.

I agree with you Mel. I really like PC-BSD most of the time, but it does not have quite enough for me to choose and to prefer it as my every day desktop system, and unless I have an external drive handy (I hope to be getting another one soon) it doesn't get it done very well with Linux systems, though it is just as often the fault of the Linux systems failing to recognize the presence of the BSDs, or worse, the boot loader choking on a BSD and refusing to boot. Because of past problems with this, the only time I will use a BSD is when I have an alternative disk and/or enough space to run it in a Virtual instance (or both).

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2024 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add another caution with BSD, and Linux.

If you are a DYI person who put mistahVISTA or win7 on the Hard drives with more than one partition...especially if you put windows anywhere but the first partition, do not rely on the display in mistahVISTA or win7 as to availability and type of partitions available. They will most always call themselves "C" no matter you put them, and always call it a primary. Also, I should remind everyone...Normally....If they show a Linux / UNIX / or BSD partition at , it ( the partition ) will be shown as zero and unformatted in my computer. Computer management in administrate tools of XP, VISTA, or win7 will give a little better indication, but can still be misleading. Most Linux, or GNU/FOSS tools will give you a much better picture of space and sequence available as far as installing Linux, BSD or UNIX.

The display in my computer of windows, especially VISTA and win7, is meaningless in many cases as to availability, sequence, type ( primary or logical ) and presence of, or actual order of partitions in a multiple partitioned HD.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2024 10:46 pm    Post subject: PC-BSD 8.1 Beta 1 Reply with quote

Development Release: PC-BSD 8.1 Beta 1
PC-BSD Kris Moore has announced that the first beta release of the upcoming PC-BSD 8.1, a desktop-oriented variant of FreeBSD, is now ready for download and testing: "The PC-BSD Team is pleased to announce the availability of PC-BSD 8.1-BETA1 (Hubble Edition), running FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE, and KDE 4.4.4. Version 8.1 contains a number of enhancements and improvements. Some of the notable changes are: numerous fixes to the installation back-end; support for creating dedicated disk GPT partitioning; improved ZFS support; bug fixes to desktop tools and utilities. Version 8.1-BETA1 of PC-BSD is available for download from our mirrors. Also, our Pootle Translation page has been updated with the latest strings, translators should now be able to finish localizing PC-BSD into their language. Please report any and all bugs to our Trac database." http://trac.pcbsd.org/ See the release announcement and release notes for full details. http://www.pcbsd.org/content/view/163/

Download: http://www.pcbsd.org/content/view/160/11/

PCBSD8.1-BETA1-x86-DVD.iso (3,379MB, MD5), PCBSD8.1-BETA1-x64-DVD.iso (3,545MB, MD5).

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: