USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Test Release Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2024 2:26 am    Post subject: openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 7 Reply with quote

NEW • Development Release: openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 7
openSUSE Andreas Jaeger has announced the availability of the seventh (and last) milestone release of openSUSE 11.3: "Milestone 7 (M7), a snapshot of the openSUSE Factory 'work in progress' build, leading up to openSUSE 11.3 release in July, is now available for download. M7 is the last milestone release, the next release will be RC1 on June 17th. Now it's time for testing and bug-fixing! Compared to M6, this milestone brings many bug fixes, an update to Linux kernel 2.6.34 and the integration of software translations and new artwork. Highlights: netbook support with both Moblin and KDE; the approaching Btrfs file system can be configured in the installer; the zypper package management client has seen further improvements; better graphics driver support for NVIDIA cards...." Read the rest of the release announcement for more details and a list of known issues. http://news.opensuse.org/2010/05/26/opensuse-11-3-milestone-7-preparing-for-rc-phase/

Download (mirrors): http://software.opensuse.org/developer/en
Or at www.distrowatch.com
openSUSE-KDE-LiveCD-Build0625-i686.iso (685MB, MD5, torrent), openSUSE-GNOME-LiveCD-Build0625-i686.iso (699MB, MD5, torrent), openSUSE-KDE-LiveCD-Build0625-x86_64.iso (695MB, MD5, torrent), openSUSE-GNOME-LiveCD-Build0625-x86_64.iso (698MB, MD5, torrent).

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2024 10:50 pm    Post subject: Salix OS 13.1 RC1 Reply with quote

NEW • Development Release: Salix OS 13.1 RC1
Salix OS George Vlahavas has announced the availability of the first release candidate for Salix OS 13.1, a Slackware-based distribution featuring a custom Xfce desktop: "So here is Salix 13.1 RC1. Let us test this and then release 13.1 final in about a week. The repositories for version 13.1 are already in place and Slackware 13.1 users can already use them for adding software packages in their systems. Not many changes since 13.1 beta1, here's the short list: v4l-utils added, needed for Simple Scan; ktsuss has been internationalized and already translated in several languages; tweaked the package update notification tool so that it will hopefully prevent freezes in gslapt; upgraded a few packages to their latest version available; cleaned up the repositories from obsolete packages." Here is the brief release announcement. http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.html?f=17&t=855

Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/files/
salix-13.1RC1.iso (574MB), salix64-13.1RC1.iso (559MB).

All the Slackware derivatives should be putting forth an offering in the near future. Should be an interesting time

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject: sidux 2024-01 Preview 1 Reply with quote

Development Release: sidux 2024-01 Preview 1
sidux Stefan Lippers-Hollmann has announced the availability of the first preview release of sidux 2024-01, a desktop Linux distribution and live CD based on Debian's unstable branch: "Now that KDE 4.4.3 and Linux kernel 2.6.34 have entered the archive, we have the pleasure to announce the immediate availability of the first preview for sidux 2024-01 'Hypnos'. While waiting for the availability of KDE 4.4.x, 'Hypnos' development concentrated on overhauling the early boot sequence for live and installed systems with regards to concurrent dependency-based booting and the integration of kernel 2.6.34. sidux now uses CONCURRENCY=makefile and continues to embrace GRUB 2 on the installed system, with isolinux and an improved gfxboot theme on the live system. KDE-based ISO images can now make use of Partition Manager instead of GParted." Read the detailed release notes for more information. http://sidux.com/?module=News&func=display&lang=en&sid=597&title=sidux-2010-01-preview-1

Download http://sidux.com/?module=Content&func=view&pid=2
(SHA256): sidux-2010-01-pre1-kde-lite-i386.iso (618MB), sidux-2010-01-pre1-kde-lite-amd64.iso (624MB), sidux-2010-01-pre1-xfce-lite-i386-amd64.iso (818MB)

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2024 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: sidux 2024-01 Preview 1 Reply with quote

melloe wrote:
sidux Stefan Lippers-Hollmann has announced the availability of the first preview release of sidux 2024-01, a desktop Linux distribution and live CD based on Debian's unstable branch: "Now that KDE 4.4.3 and Linux kernel 2.6.34 have entered the archive, we have the pleasure to announce the immediate availability of the first preview for sidux 2024-01 'Hypnos'. While waiting for the availability of KDE 4.4.x, 'Hypnos' development concentrated on overhauling the early boot sequence for live and installed systems with regards to concurrent dependency-based booting and the integration of kernel 2.6.34. sidux now uses CONCURRENCY=makefile and continues to embrace GRUB 2 on the installed system, with isolinux and an improved gfxboot theme on the live system. KDE-based ISO images can now make use of Partition Manager instead of GParted." Read the detailed release notes for more information. http://sidux.com/?module=News&func=display&lang=en&sid=597&title=sidux-2010-01-preview-1

(SHA256): sidux-2010-01-pre1-kde-lite-i386.iso (618MB), sidux-2010-01-pre1-kde-lite-amd64.iso (624MB), sidux-2010-01-pre1-xfce-lite-i386-amd64.iso (818MB)

It's ABOUT TIME! The sidux team in previous years had planned on four releases, but they've seldom kept firmly to that schedule, except perhaps near the end of the year. Here we are, nearly into June and we are getting their first release. No big deal, though. I generally get the new ISO images and I try them out, loading them onto a Virtualbox, but frankly, since it is a rolling release, I only occasionally actually install new releases, and only the Preview release if I want to test something out.

I'll probably get an ISO image, but chances are, I'll just use what I already have on two of my systems. After all, it was only last evening that I updated both of them, so they are already current (about all that I may have to change, just to "Check it Out" are the new graphics when they become available).

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2024 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might install the xfce and run it though the schedule as i want a copy of a Debian based xfce.

So many distros, so little time ...

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2024 12:30 am    Post subject: sidux with XFCE is fast and awesome! Reply with quote

melloe wrote:
I might install the xfce and run it though the schedule as i want a copy of a Debian based xfce.

So many distros, so little time ...

That would be a great way to get a good Debian version of XFCE indeed. If you want a Sid version, do it with sidux. If you want it with Debian Squeeze, get antiX, then use the smxi tool and grab extra desktop and window managers, which are in one of the package management windows.

Note of interest that though smxi was developed by h2 in the Kanotix, then sidux projects, it is no longer available with sidux - you have to add it in yourself, but smxi comes STD with antiX! That might be worth some consideration.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed the SuSE 11.3 Milestone 7 over 11.0 on thor ( AMD quad with ATI video ), and it is working well with Konqueror on HD 1
Going to put the xfce version of probably sidux on HD 2 where SuSE test was

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject: Mandriva Linux 2024.1 RC2 Reply with quote

Development Release: Mandriva Linux 2024.1 RC2
Mandriva Linux Anne Nicolas has announced the availability of the second and last release candidate for Mandriva Linux 2024.1: "As announced previously, here comes the last development release for Mandriva Linux 2024.1. This is essentially a bug-fix release. Again ISO images are available on all public mirrors: 32-bit and 64-bit DVD images and mini dual-architecture ISO images for 'Free' release (100% open-source software); 'One' live CD images for KDE and GNOME environments. These ISO images can be fully tested on your hardware but also on virtual machines (VirtualBox, QEMU, KVM). You can also dump it on USB key as an installation media." See the release announcement http://blog.mandriva.com/2010/06/02/mandriva-linux-2010-spring-rc2/
and release notes http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2010.1_RC

Download: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2010.1_RC#Availability
mandriva-one-2010-spring-rc2-KDE4-europe1-americas-cdrom-i586.iso (684MB, MD5), mandriva-one-2010-spring-rc2-GNOME-europe-americas-cdrom-i586.iso (691MB, MD5), mandriva-linux-free-2010-spring-i586.iso (4,381MB, MD5), mandriva-linux-free-2010-spring-x86_64.iso (4,393MB, MD5).

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2024 9:23 pm    Post subject: : Dreamlinux 4.0 Beta 5 Reply with quote

Development Release: Dreamlinux 4.0 Beta 5
Dreamlinux Nelson Silveria has announced the availability of the fifth beta release of Dreamlinux 4.0, a user-friendly Debian-based distribution with Xfce and a Mac OS X-like user interface: "Team Dreamlinux is proud to announce that the next beta of Dreamlinux is now available. This brings Dreamlinux 4.0 to beta 5, along with some interesting features: based on Debian testing; Xfce 4.6.1; Java and Mono runtime since several applications rely on these two platforms; Linux kernel 2.6.32.10; complete framework for compiling sources; C, C++, Objective-C, Ruby, Python, Perl, Vala and Lua programming languages; Firefox 3.6.3; Brasero for CD/DVD burning; SMPlayer media player; ePDFViewer; Geany text editor, good for everything, including programming; GIMP 2.6.8, Inkscape 0.47; Smart package manager with several utilities. The installer is text-based at the moment as the developers work on a revamped GUI for the final." Here is the full release announcement. http://dreamlinuxforums.org/?topic=6627.msg43632

Download: http://www.ngsys.eti.br/pub/DL4/
DL4-Beta5.iso (682MB, MD5).

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2024 1:10 am    Post subject: VectorLinux 7.0 Alpha 1 Reply with quote

Development Release: VectorLinux 7.0 Alpha 1
VectorLinux Robert Lange has announced the availability of the first alpha release of VectorLinux 7.0: "The development crew is happy to bring you the first core release of VectorLinux 7.0. This is alpha 1 so expect your computer to catch fire and crash and burn... This is all the latest and greatest from Linux from the X.Org server on down. There is nothing fancy here just a console login and doing startx gives you a basic Xfce desktop. There is Firefox, Opera and gFTP to keep you connected and the other basics. There is no gslapt or slapt-get as there is no real repository yet for version 7.0. We would like you brave testers to check for bugs, try building your favorite applications, etc. We have included a new set of plugins to do things like Qt movie trailers, the standard RealPlayer and MS stuff. We want to make sure the core is up to snuff before we spend a lot of time building on top of it." Here is the brief release announcement. http://forum.vectorlinux.com/?topic=11903.0

Download on page or at www.distrowatch.com
VL7.0-CORE-ALPHA-1.iso (638MB, MD5).

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2024 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: sidux 2024-01 Preview 1 Reply with quote

melloe wrote:

I am guessing that this is the week that we will see either another preview or possibly the release of sidux -2010-01. We should almost certainly see this by the weekend unless Sid gets messed up. One added bonus: MOST of KDE 4.4.4 is now in Sid, which is really nice. I already have most of the bits of what will become the release and it is nice.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2024 6:21 pm    Post subject: Kongoni GNU/Linux 1.12.3 Alpha 2 Reply with quote

Development Release: Kongoni GNU/Linux 1.12.3 Alpha 2
Kongoni GNU/Linux Robert Gabriel has announced that the second alpha release of Kongoni GNU/Linux 1.12.3, a Slackware-based desktop distribution, is available for testing: "It took a while, but now the second alpha of Kongoni GNU/Linux is here. I've been working a lot to make sure that the installer (KSI) works right, taking into consideration that there were many issues with it. The main issue was the fact that you couldn't install the system if there wasn't any swap partition set up before, which had to be fixed. Besides working on KSI, we also moved up with the kernel and now Kongoni runs on 2.6.34. Of course you will find the same things built in, like Squashfs 4 with LZMA support, Aufs 2, Btrfs, Logfs, Nouveau and so on. Since the last release we have synchronized Kongoni with the stable version of Slackware 13.1." Read the complete release announcement for additional information. http://www.kongoni.co.za//2010/06/08/kongoni-1-12-3-alpha2-is-here/

Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/kongoni/files/
kongoni-1.12.3-alpha2-i486.iso (651MB, MD5).

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject: openmamba GNU/Linux 2.0 Pre 2 Reply with quote

NEW • Development Release: openmamba GNU/Linux 2.0 Pre 2
openmamba GNU/Linux Silvan Calarco has announced the availability of the second test release of openmamba GNU/Linux 2.0, a desktop Linux distribution featuring the latest KDE 4: "The second pre-release of openmamba GNU/Linux milestone 2 is ready with over 700 software package updates. The system is based on Linux kernel 2.6.31.13 and offers a modern desktop environment that includes KDE 4.4.4, OpenOffice.org 3.2, Mozilla Firefox 3.6.3, Amarok 2.3.1 and much more. Changes were made to the installation application from live media, as it now supports a 'cloned' installation of the live pen drive system and the configuration of a separate partition for the /home folder. The distribution is available for download as a live CD, live DVD and live Games flavours in English, Italian and Spanish languages. mambaSoft wishes everybody a pleasant experience with openmamba." Here is the full release announcement. http://forum.openmamba.org/topic.html?id=518#post-3579

Download (MD5): http://www.openmamba.org/distribution/download.html
openmamba-livedvd-en-milestone2-2.0pre2.i586.iso (2,004MB, torrent).

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still have not seen the final word on the sidux 2024-01 release, but I can tell you that stuff in Debian Sid, even with the Preview release announced earlier, or any previous release of sidux, updated to the latest available software, is pretty good. XFCE has had a few minor refreshes recently, so that is a good sign of activity there, and the KDE stuff has been nicely updated to KDE SC 4.4.4 with no visible issues that I've detected after using it on two of my laptop systems this week. So whether it releases or not, it has been working really well for me, at least the way that I have it set up.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2024 11:43 pm    Post subject: IPFire 2.7 RC1 Reply with quote

NEW • Development Release: IPFire 2.7 RC1
IPFire Jan Paul Tuecking has announced the availability of the first release candidate for IPFire 2.7, a Linux-based firewall distribution that focusses on easy setup and high level of security: "After the approval by the release manager we are going to release IPFire 2.7rc1 today. This version is only suitable for testing and should not be used in productive environments. List of changes: updated Linux kernel to stable LTS (2.6.32.15); switched IPSec from Openswan to strongSwan (4.4.0); Updated ALSA (1.0.23); Updated Memtest86+ (4.10); updated kvm-kmod (2.6.33.1); updated OpenSSL (0.9.8o); updated Net-SSLeay (1.36); add Vodafone K3765 and K4505 usb.ids to option driver; add an configuration setting to remove netfilter SIP modules; updated OpenVPN to the stable release; updated Snort to stable 2.8.6...." See the release announcement http://www.ipfire.org/en/news
and changelog for further details. http://forum.ipfire.org/?topic=2436.0 Mirror links on page
Or
Download: http://testing.ipfire.at/
ipfire-2.7rc1.i586-full-core38.iso (64.3MB, MD5).
2010-06-10

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 20 of 21

Jump to: