USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Wireless Hacks / By Rob Flickenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Reviews and Interviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2024 8:18 pm    Post subject: Wireless Hacks / By Rob Flickenger Reply with quote

Reviewer: davidamarkley

The Book:
Wireless Hacks

By Rob Flickenger
September 2024
Series: Hacks
ISBN: 0-596-00559-8
304 pages, $24.95 US, $38.95 CA, £17.50 UK

Book Link: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/wirelesshks/

Wireless Hacks was one of the best no-nonsense books with tips and tools about wireless networks that I have ever read. Period.

From the moment that I picked this book up and started reading, I was immersed in a wave of technological innovation and exciting curiosity to try every single one of the 100 'hacks' that were detailed in this book. Let me tell you, I tried my best!

Chapter Contents:

Chapter 1 - The Standards
Chapter 2 - Bluetooth and Mobile Data
Chapter 3 - Network Monitoring
Chapter 4 - Hardware Hacks
Chapter 5 - Do-It-Yourself Antennas
Chapter 6 - Long Distance Links
Chapter 7 - Wireless Security

The first chapter detailed all of the numerous variations of the 802.11 protocols, as well as going into the benefits and downfalls of each individual specification. It really is great to help you to figure out which technology is best for you, and even goes into the Bluetooth wireless platform. Like, what is the difference between GRPS and GMRS? Or, which is fastest, 802.11, 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.16? Rob even talks about some other networking technologies such as Power Line Networking or 900 MHz options.

The next chapter is all about Bluetooth. Not many people realize the potentials of Bluetooth. This portion of the book opened my eyes to the reality of Bluetooth and its uses. Even better, how Bluetooth works with mobile devices. Did you know that you could control OSX presentations or even iTunes with your Sony Ericcson cell phone? Or that you can control XMMS with Bluetooth?

Next, in chapter 3, Rob dives into the huge field of network monitoring using programs like NetStumbler, Kismet and Ethereal, even the good ole' nmap. He explains the intricacies of these programs and how to look for network attacks and potential break-ins. Also, from reading this chapter, I realized what fun some things with Wi-Fi can be. *wink*

He goes into detail about the hardware that we're working with in chapter 4. From connectors to antenna types to cables, you learn how to tell an N from an APC-7 connector, as well as how much dB loss can be expected from 100 ft. of LMR-400 microwave cable. But, that's only Hacks #62 & #63 from the 27 hacks in this chapter. Others range from adding an antenna to your laptop to tunneling through IPIP or GRE encapsulation.

OK, I just have to say right now that chapter 5 was by far my favorite chapter. *grin* Here's what I did after reading this chapter:

I started by ordering a Wi-Fi card that was suggested in this book and got some antenna materials (read Pringles, coffee, and old Primestar dish). I then proceeded to make the famous (or infamous) Pringles antenna or 'cantenna'. That worked well, so I then took my coffee can, and with a bit of drilling and bloodshed (hehe), I had the can hooked up to an old Primestar dish that used to be my G'mas. It worked wonders! Now, I don't advise any of you, especially those in urban areas, to go around with a homemade Primestar-cantenna and go driving through the area's neighborhoods with this mounted to the top of your car. It would probably be more reasonable (and more convenient) to use the Pringles can antenna for that.

Not only does this book have guides to making several inexpensive antennas, it also describes how these antennas work, and in a way that I can understand it!

Wait a minute... There's more to the book than that! That was only the first five chapters!

Now, for those of you that are wanting to make long distance wireless connections, the next chapter - 6 - is for you!

Rob starts off the chapter with showing you how to graphically tell if you have LOS (Line Of Sight) or not. Line of sight is essential for a good long distance link; it involves having direct, interference-free links from the Access Point Antenna to the Client/Bridging Antenna. All in all, this is a great chapter if you're looking to connect with your neighbor two miles away, or for those that may want to connect two business branches that are across town from each other.

Last but definitely not least is chapter 7 - Wireless Security. There has been a lot of press regarding the insecurity of wireless networks. In many cases, the reports are absolutely true - the vast majority of wireless networks are either unintentionally left open, or worse, rely on unreliable methods for keeping them secure. This chapter explores the current standards for securing wireless networks and suggests some strong methods for protecting yourself and your network users from abuse.

If only the rating system went up to 10 I could give this book an 11.
But, hence, I am restricted to only 5 out of 5 big grins... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Reviews and Interviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: