USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

On Training and Certification...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Linux Education and Certification
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmmna
. . . . . . .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2024 2:11 am    Post subject: On Training and Certification... Reply with quote

I was reading the latest issue of Linux Journal (Jan 2024, print edition), and there were two items of interest I'd like to share.

First item is a response to a reader question. The reader wanted to know where he could get some classroom study in preparation for his goal of LPI certification. The editor responded to try the directory at http://lintraining.com Hats off to the Journal!.

Second item I'd mention is the monthly feature titled EOF; which this month was penned by Linux Professional Institutes President, Evan Leibovitch.

In that feature, Evan mentioned a couple of key items which I wanted to point out to you.

One item Evan made mention of was regarding the cost aspect of taking an LPI exam.
Quote:
...LPI is making a conscious effort to reduce the costs of its exams and increase accessibility in every country. In some countries. the $100 US charge for an LPI exam is an IT worker's salary for a month. Since LPI's coal is to advance open source rather than maximize revenue, we clearly have a challenge ahead. Even in rich countries, the fees for most certifications often are beyond the reach of the unemployed looking for a new career path.
I couldn't agree more. After personally reviewing (2 years ago) various testing agency fees for their IT certification (I reviewed all operating systems, not just Linux), I was stunned to see some of the agency fees were reaching well over $500. While arguments regarding certification costs might include references to said costs being offset by the corresponding wealth of the person being certified, and further arguments might also mention benefits to be obtained by such certification, I can't help but feel disgust when the person being certified has no ability to mitigate the costs based on personal circumstances, such as Evan has indicated were affecting the persons income.

The remaining item which Evan brought out was in regards to the certification industry. He mentions
Quote:
The people being certified and those who would hire them have no voice in the training content.
Obviously, LPI is getting some negative feedback. I believe that allowing the testing agency to control the training content is self serving, in that the training content can be manipulated or removed based on self serving goals. That will not generate consistent output, when the input to the person being trained is not kept at a necessary level. That, in turn, defames the LPI certification.

Please be careful when choosing a certification training agent, some agents evidently have reduced morals.

geeshock

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2024 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, I see another bookmark Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Linux Education and Certification All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: