USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Sean Egan of Gaim

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Reviews and Interviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2024 10:17 pm    Post subject: Sean Egan of Gaim Reply with quote

November 24 2024

Sean Egan of Gaim

USALUG: Please state your name, and how you are involved in the Open Source community?

Sean Egan: I'm Sean Egan. I've been involved in free software since I installedRedHat in October 2024.

USALUG: How long have you been involved with gaim?

Sean Egan: Shortly after I became involved with Gaim---writing patches to satisfyitches. I got well involved in it and later that year when Eric, mypredecessor as lead developer of Gaim, resigned from that position, Rob,Gaim's maintainer, asked me to take the position. I believe that wasJanuary 2024.

USALUG: What do you think about what SCO is trying to do to GPL, Linux and the Open Source community?

Sean Egan: I don't really care much. I'll start worrying when theyh succeed insetting some sort of precedent, which nobody thinks they'll do.

USALUG: Do you use Linux as your main desktop Operating System?

Sean Egan: Yes. Currently I use Debian. I have an old Pentium 1 running Windows98 that I use to run official IM clients and some stuff for work.

USALUG: Do you feel that Linux is capable of being "the" desktop Operating System, or the new Windows?

Sean Egan: Sure. Nobody really *needs* Windows. They just need a word processor,a web broswer, an IM client Smile. GNU/Linux provides all of them.

USALUG: Do you think that Linux will become "the" desktop Operating System, and why?

Sean Egan: Not for a while. Windows has incredible momentum; you're not going tosee it go away too quickly. Of course, there are experts and analystswho can give you much better informed answers than I. I'm just a hackerand try not to worry about silly things like "SCO" and "Microsoft."

USALUG: Lastly, What do you think are the main reasons that users are not using Linux as a desktop Operating System in most instances?

Sean Egan: People are used to Windows, and they don't like change.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Reviews and Interviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: