USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

OST@NLC -- Open Source Technology certificate program

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Linux Education and Certification
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2024 11:25 pm    Post subject: OST@NLC -- Open Source Technology certificate program Reply with quote

North Lake College is offering a certificate program in Open Source Technology, the first of its kind in the nation. We have been offering LAMP courses and will start offering "Principles of Open Source" in Spring of 2024 as a concurrent online/oncampus course (we are starting to convert our LAMP courses to online as well). More details can be found at http://durango.dcccd.edu/ost, or contact Brian Koontz at 972.273.3461.

Stuka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2024 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting - our local LUG ( http://www.bayarealug.org ) meeting was 'hijacked' by the College of the Mainland ( http://www.com.edu ) folks to act as a 'community forum' for their proposed Linux certification program - looks like y'all have the jump on them by a bit there.

brianko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2024 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there are a number of Linux-cert programs in existence in various CCs....but none that I know of that focus on the "big picture" of open source and the integration of open source software into traditionally closed source shops. This seems like a big piece of the puzzle that is never directly addressed.

--Brian

DeFi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2024 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems quite interesting, great topic for a class

Knoppix / Slax / DSL Live CD's
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Stuka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2024 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read over the curriculum this morning, and I think it is very interesting. Clearly not designed for the "back room, slide a pizza under the door" types, so it is a bit different in that regard.

brianko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2024 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't too many examples of programs that focus solely on open source technology. There's the argument that open source is simply just another license scheme to consider when evaluating technology. I disagree with that view of open source. There are so many cultural, ethical, and legal issues that are involved when one introduces open source into a traditional closed source environment. It's my belief that open source would enjoy far higher rates of integration and adoption if IT management (the ones who ultimately make the decisions) knew something about open source.

The idea of the program I'm starting is that it might serve as a template for other similar programs. Associating these classes with a college or university gives the program a level of credibility (and it certainly doesn't hurt to have the stamp of approval from the state as well!), that there is, in fact, a need for such training.

I'm working on an article for the Enterprise Open Source Journal which explains the necessity of an holisitic approach to open source adoption and integration. Don't know when it will be out, but the subscription is free (http://www.eosj.com).

--Brian

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Linux Education and Certification All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: