USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

UnOfficial Race b/t KWord and OpenOffice-Live CD

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Software for Business
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: UnOfficial Race b/t KWord and OpenOffice-Live CD Reply with quote

Awhile back, I offered to run a test on some Live CD's to check out differences between Open Office Writer vs. KWord. The following results are to be undisputable (because I hate for people to tell me I am wrong). Laughing

I used a Slax 5.0.6, a Beatrix 2024 1F, and a Kanotix Lite (cannot read version as I am running it presently). Yeah, I know I am an "iso-burner", but I am in rehab!! Razz My faithless ol' machine is a Celeron Coppermine with massive 128mb RAM. Had to repaste the heat paste under the CPU heat sink just to protect the machine from the stress.

I used the menu as a starting point to give all an equal launch:

KWord in Slax came in first with less than 25 seconds from click to type.
KWord in Kanotix came in second with 30 seconds from click to type. (Note here that the Kanotix KDE suite has an extra click cause you have to get past a template choice window before seeing the word processor).
BeatrIX was my only Live CD with Open Office which took 2min 10 seconds to be ready to record my heavy thoughts. By that time, of course, my adult attention deficit had arrived, so I have little to write except the results.

Don't mean to start a flame war, but the KOffice folks have something that is certainly worth considering. Open Office is my normal suite, but I am impressed enough to install Kanotix on to the harddrive and try it for awhile.

My hat is off to the KDE folks who are working in the shadow of bigger fish!!

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2024 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No flames here. I agree with you. I use Koffice. I don't have OO installed on any of my systems.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never actually taken and timed them, but I have both Koffice and Openoffice installed on my system, and had noticed that there is a huge difference in time it takes to open. Didn't realize it would be anything close to that huge. Still, I would never switch to Koffice. I just don't like it as much. But I think that would show it makes no sense to put openoffice on a live cd...

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2024 4:09 pm    Post subject: Hard disk installs or running from RAMdisk changes that Reply with quote

tlmiller wrote:
... Didn't realize it would be anything close to that huge. Still, I would never switch to Koffice. I just don't like it as much. But I think that would show it makes no sense to put openoffice on a live cd...

One reason to put OO on Live CD: If it is going to be a Live CD that you subsequently install to the hard disk, then the performance of an app running live is nowhere near as great of a consideration. If you have a LOT of memory, you can also load many Live CDs into RAMdisk and get superior performance.

tweak232
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2024 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it does make more sense to put Koffice on a live cd.

However, on the LiveCD, the load times are greatly exadgerated, and would be mutch shorted on the harddrive. OO.o generaly doesn't take more than 10 seconds to load on my 5400 rpm drive. Not to say that 10 seconds isn't long, because it is. I personaly haven't tried Koffice, but I know I should Wink. Good thing they all use ODF.

VHockey86
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2024 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, OO is based on java (at least some of it) while KOffice is C and QT I'm assuming? The speed difference doesnt really surprise me.

MacBook: OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2024 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've did some conversion from excel spreadsheets using koffice AND oo, the koffice stuff actually did a better job..... much to my suprise Wink

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
Stuka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2024 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crouse: have you swapped an ODF spreadsheet from OO.o to KOffice? I did that once...and it STUNK. I don't know which suite had it wrong (and I'd be lying if I quoted versions of software, as I update pretty constantly since I'm using the Dapper repository for Ubuntu), but the 2 did NOT get agree on the formatting of the spreadsheet AT ALL. So...since OO.o is running on my wife's WInders box, I dropped KOffice off of mine so we could both open our household budget sanely.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mushroom
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait ...........

Not much of it on my box with Suse 10.1-RC1-64bit installed

Both OO and KOffice open Xls and doc files in under 5 seconds Exclamation

But only OO displays them correctly. Very Happy

d_riordan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried the two of them on my Toshiba laptop and the load time was about the same on each of them. KWord may have taken just a smidgen longer, only because I had to select "ok" for "Plain Text Document" from the dialog box.

Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mushroom, I was just playing with the opening time of the packages and did not examine how long it would take to just open a document or spreadsheet. My curiosity sprang from Coastie's query about which office suite to put on his usalugSlax. I personally have had little KOffice experience, so it was exploratory on my part.

Interestingly, my wife's WindowsME opens the OpenOffice 2 in a snap from the startup menu bar icon. On the same machine, SuSE 9.3's pre-release Open Office is quite slow to open (gives the Oo splash while I wait). Nice that the Windows people get a good, competitive response.

I inwardly groan at Stuka's report of incompatabilities between supposedly open document format apps. Will be trying to do some shifting stuff between the apps to see if I see something I could consistently report as a bug. It would be a real boost to our cause if we had two, competing apps that could both ignore Excel!!

Thanks everybody for the inputs. This type of banter is fun, constructive, and educational to say the least. Makes me proud to "sign in" to USALUG Smile Smile

mushroom
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pet3M0ss, the times I quoted where only for the one box, on older suse releases times are 15+ seconds.

Novell builds their own version of OO "Novell Edition"

The tweeking that they are doing is real nice Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Software for Business All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: