USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Linux LPI -- Worthwhile?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Linux Education and Certification
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: Linux LPI -- Worthwhile? Reply with quote

I'm looking to start getting certified in Linux and have begun studying for LPI 101 ...... I got a great book from O'Rielly's (sp) and so far it seems to be well laid out and covers a LOT of information.

My question is does the rest of the "world" know enough about this exam to make it worth my time? I really would like to add some Linux certs to my resume and since I plan on starting my own biz and pushing Linux to small businesses (stability and cost savings over "other" products are hard to beat Smile ).

Stuka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email bit from one of the trade magazines - apparently the LPI cert is decent (per the article, LPI certified types average $58K), but not as well regarded as the RHCE (~$70K IIRC). I'll see if I can find that email and/or article.

Mow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ...... I figured it was at least a good place to start but hardly worth what RHCT/RHCE/RHCA is worth.

lynch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2024 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of studying for LPI 101-102 and writing a review of the book "LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell" by Jeffrey Dean. It's a decent study guide.
I hold with the belief that only you can determine the worth of a particular certification track. Having said that, I think LPI is a good one as it's very vendor neutral.
The exam success rate is only 57% so you must bear down if you expect to do well. Smile
lynch

Tiger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2024 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LPI is the suggested first step towards Novell's new Linux cert.

geeshock

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2024 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LPI is as said earlier, vendor neutral so I'd definately recomend it. Even if you plan on taking the rhce course. Both together could make you a linux force to recon with. Could probably almost name your price

rossb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2024 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynch wrote:
I'm in the process of studying for LPI 101-102 and writing a review of the book "LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell" by Jeffrey Dean. It's a decent study guide.
I hold with the belief that only you can determine the worth of a particular certification track. Having said that, I think LPI is a good one as it's very vendor neutral.
The exam success rate is only 57% so you must bear down if you expect to do well. Smile
lynch

LYNCH! DON'T take the exams with only studying that book! The exams changed after that book came out, if it's the original version, and there are many changes that will bite you, not least of which is the exam topics have shuffled around...

Rod Smith has a good book out, and (blush) so do I, it's the LPI Level 1 Exam Cram 2, and as I used to do the only LPI boot camps in existence exclusively for 3.5 years, I can say that book is the closest to what you need. It's a boot camp in a can.

Luck,

RossB

rossb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2024 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger wrote:
LPI is the suggested first step towards Novell's new Linux cert.

Yes, being involved with the testing and cert folks I should remind you that it's not a MANDATORY part of the Novell CLP/CLE process, but boy howdy, will you ever have a much easier time with studying for the CLX exams if you already have the LPIC 1.

RossB

lynch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rossb, I also have your book and pretty much use it exclusively for written exam materials once I got a hold of it.
I have not taken the LPIC exams yet; somthing always seems to come up, but I am still planning on taking them.
Thanks, Smile
lynch

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2024 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynch wrote:
Rossb, I also have your book and pretty much use it exclusively for written exam materials once I got a hold of it.
I have not taken the LPIC exams yet; somthing always seems to come up, but I am still planning on taking them.
Thanks, Smile
lynch

lynch, you might also like to take a look at the links here, I just found them yesterday .... FREE tutorials from I BM on everything from New to Linux (I'm working on this one Razz) to Certs 101&102/201&202 (Technical library view )

developerWorks wrote:
Linux Professional Institute (LPI) exam prep

Prepare for LPI certification with developerWorks tutorials!

The Linux Professional Institute (LPI) certifies Linux system administrators at two levels. Each certification level has two exams: the 101 and 102 exams for junior-level certification (LPIC-1, or cerification level 1), and the 201 and 202 exams for intermediate-level certification (LPIC-2, or cerification level 2).

Before you take the exams, review these developerWorks tutorials, designed as study guides for each topic in the four exams. Get started with the tutorials on these pages, and we'll add the rest as we complete them. Good luck in preparing for certification!

See all LPI exam-prep tutorials on developerWorks, to date. Check back often as we continue adding the rest!
About the tutorial authors

The tutorials in the 101 and 102 series are authored by Ian Shields. The tutorials in the 201 and 202 series are authored by David Mertz and Brad Huntting, individually or together.

* Ian Shields, Ph.D. works on a multitude of Linux projects for the developerWorks Linux zone. He is a Senior Programmer at IBM at the Research Triangle Park, NC. He joined IBM in Canberra, Australia, as a Systems Engineer in 1973, and has since worked on communications systems and pervasive computing in Montreal, Canada, and RTP, NC. He has several patents and has published several papers. His undergraduate degree is in pure mathematics and philosophy from the Australian National University. He has an M.S. and Ph.D. in computer science from North Carolina State University. Browse his published papers and other interests at his personal Web page. You can contact Ian at ishields@us.ibm.com.

* David Mertz, Ph.D. is Turing complete, but probably would not pass the Turing Test. For details on his life, see his personal Web page. He's been writing the developerWorks columns Charming Python and XML Matters since 2024. Check out his book Text Processing in Python. You can contact David at mertz@gnosis.cx.

* Brad Huntting has been doing UNIX systems administration and network engineering for about 14 years at several companies. He is currently working on a Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics at the University of Colorado in Boulder, and pays the bills by doing UNIX support for the Computer Science department. You can contact Brad at huntting@glarp.com.

About the LPI certification program

The LPI certification program is designed to certify the competency of system administration using the Linux operating system and its associated tools. It is designed to be distribution neutral, following the Linux Standard Base and other relevant standards and conventions. The Linux Professional Institute does not endorse any third-party exam preparation material or techniques in particular. For details, please contact info@lpi.org.

NOTE: I shamelessly copied & pasted the whole page, because I know nothing about the cert or the people involved, and didn't want to leave anything important out Wink

lynch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2024 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, JP. Smile

rossb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2024 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP wrote:
lynch wrote:
Thanks, Smile
lynch

lynch, you might also like to take a look at the links here, I just found them yesterday .... FREE tutorials from I BM on everything from New to Linux (I'm working on this one Razz) to Certs 101&102/201&202 (Technical library view )

developerWorks wrote:
Linux Professional Institute (LPI) exam prep

Prepare for LPI certification with developerWorks tutorials!

The Linux Professional Institute (LPI) certifies Linux system administrators at two levels. Each certification level has two exams: the 101 and 102 exams for junior-level certification (LPIC-1, or cerification level 1), and the 201 and 202 exams for intermediate-level certification (LPIC-2, or cerification level 2).

Before you take the exams, review these developerWorks tutorials, designed as study guides for each topic in the four exams. Get started with the tutorials on these pages, and we'll add the rest as we complete them. Good luck in preparing for certification!

See all LPI exam-prep tutorials on developerWorks, to date. Check back often as we continue adding the rest!
About the tutorial authors

The tutorials in the 101 and 102 series are authored by Ian Shields. The tutorials in the 201 and 202 series are authored by David Mertz and Brad Huntting, individually or together.

* Ian Shields, Ph.D. works on a multitude of Linux projects for the developerWorks Linux zone. He is a Senior Programmer at IBM at the Research Triangle Park, NC. He joined IBM in Canberra, Australia, as a Systems Engineer in 1973, and has since worked on communications systems and pervasive computing in Montreal, Canada, and RTP, NC. He has several patents and has published several papers. His undergraduate degree is in pure mathematics and philosophy from the Australian National University. He has an M.S. and Ph.D. in computer science from North Carolina State University. Browse his published papers and other interests at his personal Web page. You can contact Ian at ishields@us.ibm.com.

* David Mertz, Ph.D. is Turing complete, but probably would not pass the Turing Test. For details on his life, see his personal Web page. He's been writing the developerWorks columns Charming Python and XML Matters since 2024. Check out his book Text Processing in Python. You can contact David at mertz@gnosis.cx.

* Brad Huntting has been doing UNIX systems administration and network engineering for about 14 years at several companies. He is currently working on a Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics at the University of Colorado in Boulder, and pays the bills by doing UNIX support for the Computer Science department. You can contact Brad at huntting@glarp.com.

About the LPI certification program

The LPI certification program is designed to certify the competency of system administration using the Linux operating system and its associated tools. It is designed to be distribution neutral, following the Linux Standard Base and other relevant standards and conventions. The Linux Professional Institute does not endorse any third-party exam preparation material or techniques in particular. For details, please contact info@lpi.org.

NOTE: I shamelessly copied & pasted the whole page, because I know nothing about the cert or the people involved, and didn't want to leave anything important out Wink

Last I looked at those, they still had some items that weren't on the right exam study guides, ie: the USB stuff was in the 102 guides, while it really occurred on the 101 exam.

Note to the studier, ALWAYS verify that you are studying for the exam items that are currently out, by visiting the LPI site and checking the Exam Objectives at the following pages:

LPIC 101 - http://lpi.org/en/lpi/english/certification/the_lpic_program/exam_101_detailed_objectives

LPIC 102 - http://lpi.org/en/lpi/english/certification/the_lpic_program/exam_102_detailed_objectives

Remember, it's on YOU if you don't look through the official objectives to see if you have covered everything, or that your choice of study materials has covered all the items you will need...

Good Luck,

Ross

rossb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2024 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynch wrote:
Thanks, Smile
lynch

Excellent, and thanks for giving me a chance to help with your exams!

Make sure you get the fixed version of the CD-ROM files, the exam prep engine, by going to the following page:

http://www.examcram2.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=0789731274&rl=1#info4

Look for the More Information red header and click on the CD-ROM Fixes link to choose from the various types of systems that the fixes are available for. The developer accidentally left a debug statement in the released book version that limits the exam questions to the exact same 42 questions every time. Doh!

RossB

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Linux Education and Certification All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: