USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

rsync ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Command Line Commands
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stonecarver
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2024 4:31 am    Post subject: rsync ? Reply with quote

I've heard that rsync can be used to upgrade distro's by only downloading the changes rather than all the data. I've not found a tutorial or how to using rsync to achieve this only for uploading to servers. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rsync a distro upgrade ie suse 10 to 10.2?

Stuka

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2024 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure rsync would be the tool for this, as doing so would involve a lot of directories, file versioning issues, etc. My personal favorite tool for this is apt - unfortunately Suse's not enlightened enough to use it.

I'm gonna go put on my flame-proof pants now Smile

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mushroom
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2024 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: rsync ? Reply with quote

stonecarver wrote:
I've heard that rsync can be used to upgrade distro's by only downloading the changes rather than all the data.

I use rsync several times a day. It is a very powerful and efficient file transfer tool, but that is all it is.

"rsync" as the name implies is used for synchronizing two folders no mater where the are.

http://opensuse.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.html?t=1796 shows a use of it.

stonecarver wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rsync a distro upgrade ie suse 10 to 10.2?

I would suggest you do a net install "upgrade installed system" to save bandwidth.

Rootboy

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2024 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuka wrote:
I'm not sure rsync would be the tool for this, as doing so would involve a lot of directories, file versioning issues, etc. My personal favorite tool for this is apt - unfortunately Suse's not enlightened enough to use it.

SuSE has Yum, isn't that about the same thing?

Stuka wrote:

Relax, we don't want whatever it is that is in your pants. Surprised

stonecarver
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuka wrote:

LOL
I know what you mean about apt-get its my favorite package manager. I just installed it in suse 10 from here and suse wiki very easy!

As for my rsync question this might be the command
From man:
Quote:

--ignore-existing
This tells rsync not to update files that already exist on the
destination.

I was told rsync can update iso files by only changing files that are new instead of the whole iso file, but I've not be able get it right yet Sad

Firefox has a addon fireftp that has option "diff" which does the same thing for uploading. its a rsync gui.
I'm going to get busy and study the man pages and dig around until I get it right Smile
If anyone figure out before me please post the solution here Wink

Stuka

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2024 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, apt on Suse - that's pretty cool. As for all the cool stuff rsync can do, I have no idea - it's an area I'm not familiar with.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
geeshock

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2024 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used rsync to upgrade but I have used it to restore a system. mabe the following site will help you beter understand it. Just be carefull, use it wrong and you can delete many things. Isn't that right Dave Smile.

The link is http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

geeshock

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2024 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also as for rsync it's probably overkill but I generaly tend to use the same command when backing up my entire system,

rsync -azv -H -e

That generaly covers all my bases and it doesn't change any files already in place unless they are diferent at the source

stonecarver
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2024 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, dig'n around there now Smile

stonecarver
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2024 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Ubuntu help:
Quote:

RsyncCdImage

rsync is a wonderful piece of software that only downloads the parts of a file that have changed. [WWW] https://launchpad.net/products/rsync is a good resource for more information.

A nice thing about the way the Ubuntu CDs are constructed is that it's quite easy to keep an up to date local install CD using rsync. Since the daily CDs generally change quite little, it can be processed quite quickly.

Updating the ISO

A number of the Ubuntu servers also work as rsync servers with quite similar URIs to the websites. For example:
Code:

rsync -zhhP rsync://cdimage.ubuntu.com/cdimage/daily-live/current/feisty-desktop-i386.iso .

will sync the server's daily Feisty desktop image (for i386) to your local system with an older desktop image already stored on your hard drive. -z is compression, -hh is human readable file size, and -P is a progress indicator.

I think I'm on the right track now Smile

bdm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished using screen + rsync to transfer 200GB+ of data. Wink

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2024 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the file transfer tools that are used in conjunction with OTHER tools to perform incremental updates on packages include rsync, wget, various flavors of FTP, and curl. None of these tools by themselves actually upgrade the software, but they are used by various vendors in conjunction with their update tool. Mandriva, for instance, uses curl as one of its transfer mechanisms with urpmi, their software update tool (and I believe wget is used as an alternative if curl cannot work for some reason).

When I worked for Lycoris we did frequently use rsync to update our packages to test during our internal testing cycles and it certainly does save bandwidth by downloading only what has changed. Of course, when downloading the first time, you don't gain anything by using it, but it is a useful file transfer tool.

The wget utility is really handy at times when you may only get a partial file transfer and you want to resume a transfer without having to start over.

The gftp utility is a really handy graphical alternative to using the classical FTP utility.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Command Line Commands All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: