USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Linux Blogs - Do you have one ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Member Blogs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2024 8:45 pm    Post subject: Linux Blogs - Do you have one ? Reply with quote

Ok, I know some of you have them....some of you don't.... but my memory stinks, so give me a break and post yours here Smile

I started crouse.us ....... had to put SOMETHING on the domain Laughing ,so a blog it was. I finally figured out all the rss stuff.........so, you can get rss feeds for crouse.us now ....... oooohhhhhh aaaaahhhhhhhhh Laughing

If you look up at crouse.us in the firefox toolbar, you will see the rss icon on the far right..... clicking it gives you http://crouse.us/newsfeed.rss and the rss icons at the bottom of the pages give you the feed as well. It's not a big deal, but it was something I had been wanting to figure out how to do, and today I did lol.

I write all the code in plain old html for my blog....... no automation software for me Razz It really doesn't take long, and it's kind of fun doing it all manually...... guess I just don't trust the php/blogging software to not get hacked, or my ability to notice that it's out of date Laughing

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2024 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I actually got connected to your blog. This is cool in more ways than one since a lot of blogs are blocked here. I am assuming you set this up yourself, and the chi-coms are more into blocking the commercial blog facilitators. I would like to set up a blog for community developement workers in remote areas. You have inspired me.

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2024 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pet3M0ss wrote:
Shocked I actually got connected to your blog. This is cool in more ways than one since a lot of blogs are blocked here. I am assuming you set this up yourself, and the chi-coms are more into blocking the commercial blog facilitators. I would like to set up a blog for community developement workers in remote areas. You have inspired me.

Yeah........ my blog isn't based on any software, and is pretty much just html and links. The hard coding isn't much harder than keeping up with all the other "extra" stuff that the blog/software stick in there. Easier for me, since I know what I setup where Wink

lberg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2024 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your site looks very nice, crouse! (I don't know the first thing about HTML, or creating web pages...your site looks very nice! Even if I did know HTML, I'm sure I would have nothing bad to say...) I especially like the links you have on the right of your page to the Arch/Ubuntu/Slax stuff. That's a good idea. Wink

Very Happy

Cope57

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2024 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey crouse,

Your site does look pretty good, but...

Don't take this personally, but you should really validate your code using;

* The MarkUp Validator. - Also known as the HTML validator, it helps check Web documents in formats like HTML and XHTML, SVG or MathML.
* The Link Checker - Checks anchors (hyperlinks) in a HTML/XHTML document. Useful to find broken links, etc.
* The CSS Validator - validates CSS stylesheets or documents using CSS stylesheets.

After looking at your web site source code, I noticed that many of the errors for validation is because of simple coding errors such as the way you use the "<br>" tag instead of "<br />" for your XHTML 1.0 Strict document type. I can understand the errors of "<br>" myself because I did the same thing when I switched from using HTML to XHTML and CSS.

So, now all you have to do, to clear up at least 40 of the errors in your code, is to switch the </br>, <br>, <br >, to "<br />".

Another note: W3 Schools Online Web Tutorials and Web Developer's Handbook | CSS, Web Development, Color Tools, SEO, Usability etc. are probably my two favorite websites for building websites.

A web standard website looks best using any browser.
A non-web standard site looks best with IE and other non standard browsers...

Final note: A web standard website is more secure than a non web standard website by default, less scripts to add to secure it when it is properly coded.

coastie
Moderator Bot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2024 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine, xeroid, masinick.....well the unofficial lug blog Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2024 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cope57 wrote:
Hey crouse,

Your site does look pretty good, but...

Don't take this personally, but you should really validate your code using;

* The MarkUp Validator. - Also known as the HTML validator, it helps check Web documents in formats like HTML and XHTML, SVG or MathML.
* The Link Checker - Checks anchors (hyperlinks) in a HTML/XHTML document. Useful to find broken links, etc.
* The CSS Validator - validates CSS stylesheets or documents using CSS stylesheets.

After looking at your web site source code, I noticed that many of the errors for validation is because of simple coding errors such as the way you use the "<br>" tag instead of "<br />" for your XHTML 1.0 Strict document type. I can understand the errors of "<br>" myself because I did the same thing when I switched from using HTML to XHTML and CSS.

So, now all you have to do, to clear up at least 40 of the errors in your code, is to switch the </br>, <br>, <br >, to "<br />".

Another note: W3 Schools Online Web Tutorials and Web Developer's Handbook | CSS, Web Development, Color Tools, SEO, Usability etc. are probably my two favorite websites for building websites.

A web standard website looks best using any browser.
A non-web standard site looks best with IE and other non standard browsers...

Final note: A web standard website is more secure than a non web standard website by default, less scripts to add to secure it when it is properly coded.

Hadn't got that far yet Cope57 Wink But it does look like I have a few things to fix lol. But then again.......so do you Wink I clicked your "VALID XHTML" button on your website Wink http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fcope57.nuclearcentury.com%2F

Cope57

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing that out... Surprised

I have been updating my website on my no-ip, on my PC. But apparently I have not updated the nuclearcentury website account. Laughing

Now only if I can remember my ftp password... I guess I'll have to dig through some old emails to find it... Rolling Eyes

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2024 8:14 pm    Post subject: Me too Reply with quote

coastie wrote:
Mine, xeroid, masinick.....well the unofficial lug blog Wink

Me too, as you said.

I have a few other blogs that I write to every now and then, but I mostly write right here.

DocZayus
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2024 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine: http://www.doczayus.com
but it's in french, it's not ONLY about Linux, and I don't get to update it often...

d_riordan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2024 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Linux Blogs - Do you have one ? Reply with quote

crouse wrote:

I don't if it qualifies as a blog, but I do have a page on my site wherein I write a little about "Linux, technology & stuff!". There's a whopping three entries in it so far. Smile

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2024 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux Blogs - Do you have one ? Reply with quote

d_riordan wrote:
crouse wrote:

I don't if it qualifies as a blog, but I do have a page on my site wherein I write a little about "Linux, technology & stuff!". There's a whopping three entries in it so far. Smile

Looks pretty good Smile I liked the youtube video.

d_riordan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Linux Blogs - Do you have one ? Reply with quote

crouse wrote:
Looks pretty good Smile I liked the youtube video.

Cool Thanks for the complements. If I update it with anything interesting, maybe I'll post up here to let you guys know.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Member Blogs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: