USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

smoothwall

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Servers and Server Administration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stonecarver
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2024 5:23 pm    Post subject: smoothwall Reply with quote

As some of you might have noticed my security awarareness has been a high priority lately, let me explain the reason.
Last month my SmoothWall went down, not only was it not allowing internet access but I was blocked from login! Even this wouldn't have upset me, what did was my shortcut and bookmark that always had a SmootWall icon now was replaced with a free BSD icon. Edit: the address was still the same!
I assume I had a unwanted guest.
Now I must stress this that the smoothwall was a 3 to 4 yr old beta of smoothwall and I feel it was my own fault it was not secure.
Well I had already down loaded a beta of the newer smoothy but was waiting for a stabe before I installed. With my smoothy box down I decided to install the new beta. ( SmoothWall Express 3.0-degu-i386)
Wow the new smoothwall is great more tools and traffic graphs. I really should get the stable current release installed.
As an after thought I wish I had pulled the hd out of the smoothy so I would have been able to investigate the intrusion.
On a side note our local isp went down the same day, it seems all accounts were turned off and would not toggle on. I called their tech support to report the internet was down and was told of their problem.
Who knows but it makes me wonder Question

mazdaracer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2024 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonecarver wrote:
As some of you might have noticed my security awarareness has been a high priority lately, let me explain the reason.
Last month my SmoothWall went down, not only was it not allowing internet access but I was blocked from login! Even this wouldn't have upset me, what did was my shortcut and bookmark that always had a SmootWall icon now was replaced with a free BSD icon. Edit: the address was still the same!
I assume I had a unwanted guest.
Now I must stress this that the smoothwall was a 3 to 4 yr old beta of smoothwall and I feel it was my own fault it was not secure.
Well I had already down loaded a beta of the newer smoothy but was waiting for a stabe before I installed. With my smoothy box down I decided to install the new beta. ( SmoothWall Express 3.0-degu-i386)
Wow the new smoothwall is great more tools and traffic graphs. I really should get the stable current release installed.
As an after thought I wish I had pulled the hd out of the smoothy so I would have been able to investigate the intrusion.
On a side note our local isp went down the same day, it seems all accounts were turned off and would not toggle on. I called their tech support to report the internet was down and was told of their problem.
Who knows but it makes me wonder Question
I love my smoothy too! I just reloaded with Express2-sp1 a few weeks ago when my previous box toasted its power supply, cpu and parts of the MB due to a power outage and the cpu fan frozen! I tried IPCOP before installing SMOOTHWALL, but I really didn't like the apparent lack of an admin or setup interface after it was loaded. I can recommend SMOOTHWALL to anyone looking for a firewall!

stonecarver
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2024 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...may have to look into that. Installed SmoothWall when our Watchguard went belly up (and outta warranty, EOL'ed, etc.). It's been nice, even with the older software.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Servers and Server Administration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: