USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Tip: Gently restart a Frozen System

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Command Line Commands
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coastie
Moderator Bot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject: Tip: Gently restart a Frozen System Reply with quote

Taken from LifeHacker

Quote:
Linux users: On your next system freeze, when CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE leaves you high and dry, don't reach for the power button. Rather than forcing the system to shut down (which can do quite a bit of damage to your system—especially if data is being written to the hard drive), the FOSSwire web site explains a safer technique for restarting your system.

1. Hold down the Alt and SysRq (Print Screen) keys. 2. While holding those down, type the following in order. Nothing will appear to happen until the last letter is pressed: REISUB 3. Watch your computer reboot magically.

I haven't tried this yet...everything else that I have tried from LifeHacker has worked so far.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We beat you to it, coastie Laughing

http://usalug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.html?t=11377

It works! I think the one suggestion of RSEIUB might be better cause the S is some kind of synchronize command before things get killed. If I am correct, substituting O for the B will do a shutdown instead of reboot. Haven't run that yet.

"Raising Skinny Elephants Is Utterly Boring"

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Command Line Commands All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: