USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Network Topology

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3dward

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2024 4:24 am    Post subject: Network Topology Reply with quote

I was asked by a friend what the best network topology would be for a small coffee shop that has 4 computers that need to be connected by Ethernet and it needs to support wireless connections for an unspecified amount of users but probably somewhere between 5-12 wireless users that are customers. The other 4 computers are for frequent customers and would be used primarily for checking email and social networking sites. Problem is that I really don't know much about topology or which one would be best suited for this. It's specified that the topology needs to be able to support these connections but needs to also be cheap. If anyone knows anything about topology it would be extremely helpful if you could state your opinion on the matter. I've done some research online about it but it seems that there isn't a lot of information on which topologies support what. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Sabayon v3.1
Ubuntu 7.04
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2024 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most wireless routers have about four wired ports (RJ-45 jacks or plug-ins) in them, so the ethernet ones could be wired into the router and the router should also be able to handle the wireless as well. Now, the caveat ..... I don't know if one wireless router can handle a whole lot of traffic, so you may have to get more than one router ....... I've had as many as 11 boxes running on one wired router, using a 10 port hub that I bought off eBay for $10 ..... on the wireless question, I'll defer to someone more qualified than myself Wink

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2024 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look here
http://usalug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.html?t=13593

This are very good routers. I use a ZyXEL over years, never have some problems. I am going to upgrade soon to the ZyXEL NBG460N. I just got the email this router is not avaible until 1Q 2024. They offert me the ZyXEL x550n Gigabit Wireless Router.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2024 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 5 boxes and wireless.

Cable Modem> Linksys 4 port router ( 3 boxes ) > 4th port to D-link DI524 wireless router with 2 wired boxes and wireless. The most I have ever had wires working at the same time I can remember are 3 or 4 plus wireless. No obvious hit on any of them even during a long download on the test box..

Not an ideal set up, but has worked so far. With ample funds, am sure a better solution might be possible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Networking All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: